Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozza

Reaction score
I have been reading about liquid yeasts in the FAQ section and i'm wondering if it will make much difference to a K+K. I currently use safale yeast and have just started to add a few hops and a brew enhancer for my LBS.

Also what brands and styles would you reccomend that are easy and tasty (Preferably available in the sydne region). Currently I dont have temp control so lager yeasts are out.

Cheers in advance

excellent way to customise your brews but, whilst trying not to beat the AG drum too much, AG has been the biggest single factor in making my brews outstanding rather than just drinkable.

edit - if you like belgian beers, there's no other option IMO than liquid yeasts. What beers do you want to make?

Unfortunalty I don't currently have the time space or equipment for AG brews but this is my goal for the future.

you'd be surprised
if you've got a kitchen, or a side burner on a bbq, you can make AG beers

I personally found that liquid yeasts had a big effect on the beer and I enjoy trying new strains. Ultimately this is only one piece in the equation but it can really change the falvour profile.

I would say give it a shot, it is only a little money but if you follow the guides on the site and make 5 starters from it then it is no more expensive than safale. I think thye are better. AG or K&K I think it is worth experimenting, hey why not steep some grains while you are at it :p

Another important thing is being able to maintain the fermentation temp in the correct range for the yeast. If you can't do this then I would concentrate on that first.

Hope you give it a shot & good luck.

It will make a big difference to your k & k's & your brewing overall.
My road to AG started by adding a starter from a Coopers Pale Ale tallie to my k & k's & I've never looked back. :)
Try out the Morgans brand cans (ale) with the above yeast. You'll be surprised at the result, especially with a little added malt.
Good luck to you & your brewing.

:beer:

I admit, that at first, I too, thought that Liquid yeast wouldn't make much difference. But, boy how wrong I was. Admittedly I am concentrating on pilseners/heavily hopped Lagers, however the difference between the different strains of the liquid yeasts I have used thus far has been subtle....yet satisfyingly different at the same time (even when using can kits). You may find that after trying out the different liquid yeasts, you may prefer the dried yeast, who knows? But in the quest for YOUR PERFECT BEER, IMO it's worthwile trying out different yeasts. Also, as has been stated before, do try and get some sort of temperature regulation happening, to keep your wort in the recommended temp range for the particular type of yeast your using. Best of luck with your brewing efforts.

Cheers :)

Go 4 it with the liquid yeasts. You will be surprised.

You cannot even begin to get a wheat beer without the correct yeast.

steeping a few specialty grains and picking an appropriate strain will enhance your K+K and entice you into partialing and beyond.

Consider it another rung up the brewing ladder.

Safale is quite a good yeast for some beers... average for others. Either way you are limiting yourself. Take the step, it isn't hard at all.

Liquid yeasts work out cheaper in the end, and I feel they give better results.

This is how you make a starter from any liquid yeast:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...yeast%20culture

And this is how you take it from a commercial bottle, provided the beer has been bottle conditioned. Like a Coopers Pale Ale:
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=11

Go for it. The thing with liquid yeast is that it gives you variety. There is nothing wrong with the quality of most dried yeast, certainly all the dried yeast I have used have been fine. However, at least in Australia there is not a lot of variety available. Using liquid yeasts offers a world of variety to you. The yeast is a very big contributing factor to your beer.

What strains you use will depend on what you are making. Have a look at the listings on manufacturers web sites and see what sounds good to you. In Sydney I believe White Labs is more common so they are probably the best way to go. I'm sure someone in Sydney could give you a better idea than I could though. If you go with White Labs their vials now contain 100 billion cells, even though it states less on the packaging, according to Chris White. When they are within use by you are probably ok to just pitch the tube if you don't want to worry about starters.

So basically it's easy and opens up many different styles and variations to you.

Back