Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Just a quick one this morning . I have not brewed for around 7-8 months due to new additions to the family . I have kept My Liquid Yeast in the fridge door at all times since then , but as you would know the fridge gets opened untold time throughout the day , just wanted to know how long the yeasties would last for not really looking to bre for a little while yet .I have 5 of them in there so would not really want to waste them .

Any Advice would be welcomed.

Cheers
AW
P.S. awesome new look to the site by the way

P.P.S ARSENAL 5- DERBY 0 Come on you GOOOOOONERS

Just a quick one this morning . I have not brewed for around 7-8 months due to new additions to the family . I have kept My Liquid Yeast in the fridge door at all times since then , but as you would know the fridge gets opened untold time throughout the day , just wanted to know how long the yeasties would last for not really looking to bre for a little while yet .I have 5 of them in there so would not really want to waste them .

Any Advice would be welcomed.

Yes it will be ok,I have used yeast much older than 8 months.
Obviously there will be lots of dead cells but the live ones will soon fire up,it may take a little longer than with a fresher starter.
Batz

Hi arsenewenger,
I have had yeasts in my fridge for more than a year that were still viable. I always make a starter to determine first. That way I dont waste any as I know they are alive and kicking when I pitch. Dont just toss it in without knowning for sure. Start the 'starter' a few days before you want to brew and it will be fine.
Regards,
mckenry

well they recomend you use liquid yeast within 6 months from the date of manufactur (date on the package). Thats why HBS sometimes sell 6month+ stock on special. However in saying that I have accidently bought a few liquid yeasts that were 7 months old and they were fine. They took a while to get going and I would certainly make a large starter (espicially if cold fermenting). But they should be ok. I guess your best indication will be once you smack them and see if they inflate. Id certaonly want to use them asap or at least before they were 12 months old

I buy all my liquid yeasts from Grain and Grape,the 'out of date' specials.
Never had a problem with them taking off,and I can get two for the price of one :p

Batz

Back