Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brente1982 said:
I havent looked at them up close myself, but judging from the pictures someone puts up, i would say the bulb is just to maintain pressure inside the thing itself rather than carbonation. Especially if you compare it to LiquorCrafts soon to be released version, they use 2 co2 bulbs to carbonate the bottle
Any details on the Liquorcraft system available? Good to keep the options open.

I'm guessing as with tap-a-draft it'll be best for dispensing rather than force carb.

From what I read I was of the belief that the beer inside was flat. I have been told that they built a new bottling line for this product. A whole new line if it was the same carbonated beer in there as the normal bottles wouldnt they have just built an adapter for the existing line. I'm keen to find out the other guys results. I'll be pulling one apart today once I get to jcar to get the triangular key. I hope my theory is right would be much simpler hahaha

aussie brewer said:
From what I read I was of the belief that the beer inside was flat. I have been told that they built a new bottling line for this product. A whole new line if it was the same carbonated beer in there as the normal bottles wouldnt they have just built an adapter for the existing line. I'm keen to find out the other guys results. I'll be pulling one apart today once I get to jcar to get the triangular key. I hope my theory is right would be much simpler hahaha

They wouldn't build an adaptor for the main bottling line because that would reduce the amount of cans/bottles they could package per hour/day/month (whatever their kpi is).

It definitely makes sense to have a stand alone packaging operation for the tap king bottles.

Doesn't anyone remember the Tap-A-Boom thread....I think I will wait and see how this goes -_-

so can any one answer this question is the beer inside the bottles carbed?

and the c02 cannister is just for pressure?

i thought the point of a draught system is un carbed beer?

Kegs aren't carbed?

they will be carbed. 16g won't be enough to carbonate and serve these beers and maintain their lively carbonation.

bum said:
Kegs aren't carbed?
Kegs are carbed. Some kegs like coopers are even carbed with sugar And have sediment in the keg. I'm now thinking that it will have to be primed to some degree.

so its basically a system to replace bottling but just more bottles(kegs) i guess?

so whats the difference beween this and bottles?

yeah i see that but your still priming, and you can prime a stubbie or a long neck - it wont go flat if your going to drink it anyway.

the dollar a bottle will cost you that per brew every brewe works out a little bit expensive.

Josho said:
yeah i see that but your still priming, and you can prime a stubbie or a long neck - it wont go flat if your going to drink it anyway.

the dollar a bottle will cost you that per brew every brewe works out a little bit expensive.
It adds about $6 to a 23 litre batch, I'm happy to pay this for reducing the bottles down from 60+ to 7; it should take a similar amount of time to clean and prime the 3.2L bottle as it does 1 normal stubby. The only extra would be dismantling and sanitising the tap kig lid and installing the new CO2 bulb; don't know how fiddly this is, jury is still out. I like being able to pour out whatever amount I feel like drinking at the time, I'm not a big drinker, a pint a day is usually enough. It takes me 1.5 hours to bottle 60+ stubbies with clean up, I'd expect that to come down significantly. Also I prime individual bottles as opposed to batch priming and would find it easier to achieve my desired carbonation level with the larger bottle size.

Of course you also have to add on the cost of the dispenser, don't know the durability of these, I should hopefully get all of my bottles as discards, fingers crossed

Donske said:
It definitely makes sense to have a stand alone packaging operation for the tap king bottles.
All the tap king bottling is happening in one spot. Even have to tanker boags stuff up from tassie to be bottled on the mainland.

Mattfos01 said:
All the tap king bottling is happening in one spot. Even have to tanker boags stuff up from tassie to be bottled on the mainland.

That's a bit odd then, there has to be a financial reason behind it though that makes it cheaper for Lion Nathan in the long run, we're talking about a really large company here, really large companies examine the most efficient way of doing everything before implementing any changes.

Nahhh... really big companies tend to piss money away wholesale doing stupid stuff. Like listening to their marketing department...

Latest posts

Back