line length with Perlicks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wigan

Reaction score
hi all just finished my set up and have 3 kegs gassing in the fridge (8psi). I have 2x 650 ss with flow control and Intertap (chrome plated), I see that most people say start with 3-3.5 meters length? do i do this with the flow controls as well ?

thanks Mark

That's the beauty of flow control taps Mark, you don't need a specified length. Just make the line long enough to make it from keg to tap and then adjust the flow control to get the right pour.

First: What razz. said.

The reason you start with "3-3.5" metres length of beer line is that the resistance of the beer line is "using-up" the pressure from the keg. The final output pressure should be quite low relative to the serving pressure.

There's a formula to work out how much line you need. This takes the diameter of the beer line or the internal liquid "drag" of the beer line itself, the height difference between the keg & tap, the serving pressure, etc. as variables. If you plug say 5mm (ID) beer line, 1 metre, 70kpa - you get about 3 metres.

So starting with more than that, you can just test it it, and cut a bit of the end off of the pipe, if the pour pressure is too low. Thus shortening the tube to its optimal length without the mathematics.

The flow control taps allow you to use only enough tube to connect the keg to tap. Thus there's not a complete tangle of pipe in your keg fridge.

I just finished my kegerator (bar fridge with tower on top) 2x 650 flow controls,
I used 2.5m of beer line to each. I thought that would be plenty of line to pretty much have the flow controls fully open most of the time but I've found I still have to turn then down. I'm pouring at about 50kpa.
The downside is if you have to turn them down to much you can be standing there a while to fill a schooner !

I have a bit over 2m of beer line on each of my 3 taps, which are also the 650SS flow controls. I can usually pour with the flow control fully open once the taps themselves chill down enough - otherwise I simply pour on half open, usually at this time of year I pour half to 3/4 of a pint glass of foam before the beer starts coming out properly, but after that it pours fine until the tap is left unused for a period. The foam glass is left in the fridge to settle and then usually consumed afterwards. I don't like using them on a trickle because for one thing it doesn't chill the tap very well and also it takes forever to fill a glass.

From my experience. I've had perlicks for a few years now. CP flow control.
- Whilst its nice to have short lines inside the fridge, there is a benefit to having them a bit longer than you 'need'
- Having the slightly longer line, requires more gas pressure.

Why is that good?
I have found that with more pressure behind the taps, the perlicks dont drip.

Having the shorter lines, with the pressure up to help seal the tap, resulted in over gassed beer eventually and I had to close the flow control too much which made for a fairly 'messy' pour.

Increasing the line length a bit (not as long as you need without flow control - defeats the purpose) and upping the pressure a bit meant I could keep a very smooth pour without over carbonating the keg.

What line lengths are you using mckenry?

About 1.75m. 0.75 of that would be in the font.

Makes no sense.
40cm line length.
Set tap flow to slow.
Pull tap.
Increase flow to desired speed.
Perfect pour.

Perlick seals are 1 inch up the barrel. Whatever liquid is not sealed in front of this will drip. As certain as gravity.

If it takes increased pressure to prevent extra dripping... Maybe you simply need to service yo taps...

adryargument said:
Makes no sense.
40cm line length.
Set tap flow to slow.
Pull tap.
Increase flow to desired speed.
Perfect pour.
The reason I did it was to stop the drips without overcarbonating the kegs.

Probably time for a service. I do have 9 of them. Six on one font, three on another. Different purchase dates, by a couple of years. The 6 never closed hard. They only dripped a few drops, but the three taps seal closed with a clunk and have never dripped anything.

I have 4mm ID line, Perlick FC and still use 4 meters of line. Carb and pour at about 100kpa.

Mint.

Cheers,
D80

Diesel80 said:
I have 4mm ID line, Perlick FC and still use 4 meters of line. Carb and pour at about 100kpa.

Mint.

Cheers,
D80
I'm with Diesel80, exactly the same! Works perfect.

I'm new to this stuff - what does it depend on? Is there a primer somewhere to read up?

lael said:
I'm new to this stuff - what does it depend on? Is there a primer somewhere to read up?
You usually carbonate your beer to a desired 'volume of co2'. The warmer a beer, the more co2 pressure you will need to carbonate it to a certain volume of co2. Different styles of beer generally use different volumes of co2. For example, a pommy bitter served on co2 would be about 2.0 volumes, a normal aussie style lager or an american style pale ale or ipa about 2.5 volumes. A german wheat beer about 3.0 volumes or a belgian beer about 3.0 to 3.5 or even 4.0 volumes.

If you google carbonation calculator or keg carbonation calculator you should find a calculator in which you enter your desired volume of co2 and beer temperature. This will then tell you how many psi or kpa your need.

Disclaimer. If bottling, dont use normal bottles if using more than 2.5 volumes of co2. They arent desinged for it.

I understand carbonation pressures, its how and why line lengths should be what they are and how to determine what you need to akke it work.

lael said:
I understand carbonation pressures, its how and why line lengths should be what they are and how to determine what you need to akke it work.
Well you need a certain amount of resistant between the keg and your tap because at the pressures we carbonate our beer, it would make the beer rush out too fast and foam as a result. The easiest way for us to create a resistance is to use more line. The thinner the inner diameter of the line, the more resistance it creates hence shorter lines. You can also use a flow control tap to create that resistance.

You can google 'balancing a keg system' to find calculators for line length. I suggest starting a metre of so longer and cutting it off bit by bit if your flow is too slow.

Latest posts

Back