Light Malt Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydmeddler

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewing a Blonde ale on Friday and plan on using 3kg of liquid light malt extract. My local HBS sells this, but only in 1.8kg cans. However... they also sell liquid pale malt extract in 1.5kg cans for a lot cheaper. Is it the same stuff? If not would my beer be as nice with pale malt extract or should I pay the extra bucks and stick with the light malt extract?

Many thanks

Floyd

Hi all,

Brewing a Blonde ale on Friday and plan on using 3kg of liquid light malt extract. My local HBS sells this, but only in 1.8kg cans. However... they also sell liquid pale malt extract in 1.5kg cans for a lot cheaper. Is it the same stuff? If not would my beer be as nice with pale malt extract or should I pay the extra bucks and stick with the light malt extract?

Many thanks

Floyd

Its basically the same thing but will most likely be a different brand...

Hi all,

Many thanks

Floyd

My LHBS also sells it in 1.5kg containers. They buy the coopers malt in bulk and then decant it into the smaller containers. I would hazard a guess that this is also what your LHBS is doing.

Hi. They are different brands - one being 1.8kg Munton's Light Liquid Malt Extract and the other being 1.5kg Brupaks Pale Malt Extract.

Cheers

Floyd

Hi. They are different brands - one being 1.8kg Munton's Light Liquid Malt Extract and the other being 1.5kg Brupaks Pale Malt Extract.

Cheers

Floyd

Yeah mat,e theyre the same, just use either or

Back