Light Lager Or Mild

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

Looking at doing an 80L batch of a light beer. Can't decide to make it an Aussie light or English Mild. Got a couple of recipes. I havn't really done a proper light or mild as yet anyone see any problems with either of these recipes?

Australian Light Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 80.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.000
Total Hops (g): 120.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.030 (P): 7.6
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 14.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 85
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pale Malt (55.56%)
2.000 kg Munich II (22.22%)
1.000 kg Vienna (11.11%)
1.000 kg Wheat Malt (11.11%)

Hop Bill
----------------
80.0 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (6.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (1 g/l)
40.0 g Aurora Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/l)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes.

or

Session Mild
Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 80.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.500
Total Hops (g): 120.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.032 (P): 8.0
Colour (SRM): 11.0 (EBC): 21.7
Bitterness (IBU): 16.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 85
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
7.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (73.68%)
2.000 kg Golden Promise Malt (21.05%)
0.200 kg Roasted Barley (2.11%)
0.300 kg Chocolate, Pale (3.16%)

Hop Bill
----------------
40.0 g Aurora Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/l)
40.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/l)
40.0 g Willamette Pellet (7.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/l)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 19 with Danstar Windsor

Could always drop the roast and choc and make a standard as well.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Mild all the way, although I may be biased.... ;)

I push my OG and bitterness slightly higher as well (1.038 & 23IBU). Otherwise looks the goods!

Cheers

Mild all the way, although I may be biased.... ;)

I push my OG and bitterness slightly higher as well (1.038 & 23IBU). Otherwise looks the goods!

Cheers

Sold. Now to push the system to its limits. I left the bitterness low to compensate for the late addition of the 9% aurora and no chill. May just lift it a little.

Cheers

I woul up your mash temp for the mild - more like 68-70 to make it more dextrinous and preserve some body. You might also want to consider some crystal as well to help push the mouthfeel a bit.

Make sure you use a low attenuating yeast too.

Agree with pushing the OG up a bit too.

+1 didn't look at mash temp.

Usually do mine at 68C.

Cheers

Thanks fellas I will aim for 68/69.

With going for an 80L batch I am going to need to up the grain water ratio as well. Would it be better to do this, seeing as BIABers tend to do this, or add more boiling water mid boil at say the 15 minute just before the whirflock?

Cheers

heres one I did (a mistake, but was really nice)

possably dron the carafoam down to .5 and up the pils to 7.5, it was very heady :)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Little Boh Pil
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bohemian Pilsner
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 46.00 L
Boil Size: 58.58 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 3.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 kg Pilsner (IMC) (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.50 %
1.00 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
30.00 gm Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
80.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
2 Pkgs 34/70

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 20.88 L of water at 74.9 C 67.0 C

Notes:
------

+1 didn't look at mash temp.

Usually do mine at 68C.

Cheers

Have used 68 in the past, the dark mild in my hand right now was done at 70 and I am happier with the mouthfeel. Would probably go 68 first time around.

Personally, I would prob just go the choc and sub some crystal and/or brown/amber malt for the roast.

Missed this, been working.
My mild (23L batch size) is inspired by advice from Butters and I go for around 1038 but mashed at 70 degrees for a fg of around 1022. To build it back up a bit in strength I add 250g LDME and 250g Sugaz but it still comes out less than 4% ABV. Dark malt is Carafa2 and Choc, and hops are 15g Northdown 60 mins and 10g Styrians 10 mins. As Butters used to say "less can be more" and you'd be amazed at the hop character.

Ringwood yeast for low attenuation.

The beauty of mild is its a pretty broad style. I prefer mine on the dry/lighter bodied style, and aim for around 1.012 FG from 1.035-38 or so, and i mash at 66, and add some sugar. 1968 for malty flavour and no flavour hops. All up to you how you do it. i have the "classic beer styles" mild ale book, a very interesting read. I LOVE biscuit malt in milds, and pale choc and caramunich 3.

Do it!, and let us know what you think.

Ended up going for a 60L batch of mild, havnt got the details but pretty sure the malt was something like

5.75 kg Golden Promise
0.225 Pale Choc
0.125 Roast Barley
Forgot to add a bit of crystal.
mashed @ 69
50g Williamette @ 4.7 @ 60min
30g Aurora @ 10min
10g challenger into each cube

ended up with 61L @ 1035 tasted beautiful from the kettle.

Put the first cube into the fermenter with a cake of windsor before I left for Bundy yesterday.

Cheers

OK not quite a week in the keg and this is tasting pretty dam good. The windsor cake has ripped it down to 1008 so it is a bit thin and dry but malty at the same time. Will make a couple of little adjustments to the recipe but a great session beer and I dont think this keg will see next weekend. Good thing the next cube is cold crashing as I type.
Acouple of pics same beer different light.

Cheers Brad

P1040813.JPG

P1040811.JPG

Could go one of those right now.

I have always avoided Windsor yeast because I'd heard complaints that it takes forever to clear. However I was talking to Screwtop yesterday at our beer Safari (early on when we were both sober) :lol: and he says nah, Windsor is bloody good.
What sort of fermentation do you get with Windsor - slow/fast, attenuating, floccing, best temperature etc etc?

Could go one of those right now.

I have always avoided Windsor yeast because I'd heard complaints that it takes forever to clear. However I was talking to Screwtop yesterday at our beer Safari (early on when we were both sober) :lol: and he says nah, Windsor is bloody good.
What sort of fermentation do you get with Windsor - slow/fast, attenuating, floccing, best temperature etc etc?

I usually get good results from windsor, fast ferment of 3 to 5 days at 20deg, attenuation from an unhydrated pack is low which will give a higher FG but from a cake smashes through to lower FG, a good week of cold crashing flocs it out pretty good. This beer was put in the fermenter with a windsor cake on sunday then put in the cc fridge on thurs night and kegged with some gelatine put in mid drain on the tuesday arvo and is looking pretty clear today.

I have a goat ale on tap that I sprinkled the fresh pack on it only finished at 1020, I also only cold crashed for 24hrs and kegged with gelatine but is still hazy.

Like the character of windsor.

Cheers

Back