Light Dry Malt With Coopers Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill D

Reaction score
Hey Guys - how you all doing this week?

Well im brewing another beer and thought i would try the Cerveza and on the recommendation of LHBS they suggested the Coopers light Dry malt 1k was a lovely product to use. I also added a Saaz Hops teabag, steeped for 10 minutes and then all thrown into the mix.

Well when i poured the LDM into the barrell on top of the hot water and extract it kind of went into a big goopy ball of malt and i had a bit of an effort to break it up and get it all dissolved.

Anyway - its all done and fermenting away a treat.

How is the easiest way to mix that stuff?

2nd Question - why are people boiling the Kits? I dont really understand what that would do to benefit or is it mereley to help incorpoarate other ingredients .

Thanks Troops
2Beers

Also

First of all the malt will eventually dissolve within so it's not a big concern. It will obviously affect an accurate gravity reading but that's all and most kits 'n bits brews are pretty easy to figure out using software/spreadsheets or just guess.

Secondly, if you use a clean whisk and pour your boiling water into a bowl, you can whisk the dme through in about a minute or two. I recommend water first, dried ingredient afterwards.

Thirdly - Kits don't really need to be boiled. Some people boil them to sanitise them but they are sanitary already and this is unnecessary. Very occasionally you will find someone uses a kit as a cheap bittered liquid malt extract and so boils the kit to change the flavour profile (mainly the post bittering hops).

The boiling water added to kits on the other hand is mainly to hit yeast pitching (addition) temperature as quickly as possible.

Thankyou Manticle -

First of all the malt will eventually dissolve within so it's not a big concern. It will obviously affect an accurate gravity reading but that's all and most kits 'n bits brews are pretty easy to figure out using software/spreadsheets or just guess.

Secondly, if you use a clean whisk and pour your boiling water into a bowl, you can whisk the dme through in about a minute or two. I recommend water first, dried ingredient afterwards.

Thirdly - Kits don't rerally need to be boiled. Some people boil them to sanitise them but they are sanitary already and this is unnecessary. Very occasionally you will find someone uses a kit as a cheap bittered liquid malt extract and so boils the kit to change the flavour profile (mainly the post bittering hops).

The boiling water added to kits on the other hand is mainly to hit yeast pitching (addition) temperature as quickly as possible.

Hey guys I did a coopers ceveza and used nelson sauv hops, (2 small tea spoons) just thrown in with the hot kit and hot water, and also 1 kg of pilsner malt.

2nd day in the keg, it is weak but 2nd sip and you can taste a hint of lime and the hop bitter is just right.

Not my favorite, but I have the feeling will improve allot by the weekend.

Check the Coopers web site for instructions on dissolving pure dry malt.

They say to put the malt in FIRST, add hot water and swish the whole fermenter around.

I must say the first time I used dry malt I had the same problem.

coopers cerveza is meant to be a lager style beer and with a kilo of ldm it will end up more like an ale.
I would reccomend using coopers be2, since it contains mainly dextrose with a pinch of malt so you will end up with a beer that has a thinner body, lower fg and will be more in style with what your trying to make.

Back