Life Expectancy And Alcohol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
life expectancy and alcohol
how much longer would you life if you gave up alcohol?

I know you cant believe everything on the internet but I do believe the predictive power of statistics.

This web site estimates your life expectancy after you answer 13 simple questions.

As you answer each question it fine-tunes your estimates life expectancy. Therefore the impact of each individual question can be seen. You can test this by going back and answering a question differently and seeing what effect a different answer has to your life expectancy.

I was interested to see that if I change my answer for question 10 (how often do you drink) from "[5 or more drinks at one time, more than once a month] to [Dont drink or never drink more than 2 drinks a day] my life expectancy rose from 80 to 87 ie statistically, my drinking habit is going to decrease my life by around 7 years.

Maybe in 35 years time Ill regret it, but currently, I couldnt imagine only drinking 2 drinks per day

http://media.nmfn.com/tnetwork/lifespan/

Mate, if you have a couple of drinks a day and it relieves stress from work, life ect...it cant calculate for human experience.

For my money not relieving those stressors will kill you quicker than a couple of beers a night.

Sure if you abuse anything it will kill you quicker, so moderation is key. :beer: :party:

edit: very poor spelling

That's 7 more years without beer. No deal.

As Dennis Leary said (in reference to cigarettes taking 10 years off your life). "They're the 10 worst years - you can keep em."

Mate, if you have a couple of drinks a day and it relieves stress from work, life ect...it cant calculate for human experience.

For my money not relieving those stressors will kill you quicker than a couple of beers a night.

Sure if you abuse anything it will kill you quicker, so moderation is key. :beer: :party:

edit: very poor spelling

Well said! Agree wholeheartedly.

Edit: Its the recreational drugs and not the grog that will end me apparently. If i wake up tomorrow I will be lucky.

lol I will live till I am 80 haha. I know people that smoked a pack a day and spent every arvo in the pub last till almost 90 and know of people that never smoked and drank once a month if that and died before they was 80 so statistics aside you might as well enjoy your life you could die from drinking but you could die before that if you never drank so **** it I say. I know a guy that died of lung cancer and he never put a smoke to his mouth so go figure!

I'm destroying everything so it doesn't hurt others.

Consider it my gift to humanity.

I'm destroying everything so it doesn't hurt others.

Consider it my gift to humanity.

How about I destroy it for you under controlled conditions :)

I believe a small amount of alcohol on a regular basis may actually extend your life. Note I did say small amount. And then there are the recently discovered benefits of hops. :icon_cheers:

Contrary wise to all you nay sayers, I'm giving up beer today.

Manticle, I'll just have the rest of your AABC 4th place batch thanks.

When I was a young fella I knew a guy who was a family friend/distant relative. he smoked 7 pipes a day, lived in the country with no electricity or indoor toilet, I presume he drank. he died the day before his 92nd birthday

Hmm, I'm 38 and it says i'm going to drop at 42 yrs old.
Rock and Roll, dude.

I prefer to the flawed logic of using the exception to prove the rule rather than statistics based on unknown sample sizes.

Like Richards once said:' Beware of hypochondria, its fatal' - or something like that.

keith%20richards1.jpg

Lemmy%20Kilmister.jpg

53 - I find Shane's longevity the most remarkable.

41608_2223862529_8969_n.jpg

AAhh Shane MacGowan.

I remember being at a pogues concert at the ANU many years ago where Shane was so pissed he passed out on stage after a few songs.
The rest of the band didn't miss a beat. They left him where he was and someone just stepped over him to the microphone and started singing.

All these rock & roll animals that are still going have really destroyed the arguments put forward by my parents regarding my lifestyle choices.
:beerbang:

My age came up as 31, I turn 32 in a few weeks :blink: .

Back