Lid And Airlock Or Clingwrap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the cats in the cider!

In the end it was a great beer and for the life of me I couldnt pick the insects, yet their bare shells were thru out my gear. Still alive n punching!
Well maybe its time to make a wit, and use insect shells instead of rice hulls. Though th protein rest may disolve the carapace?

Well maybe its time to make a wit, and use insect shells instead of rice hulls. Though th protein rest may disolve the carapace?

There are always heaps of cicada shells on trees certain times of there year. and piles of dead moths under floodlights

I foresee dry beetling really taking off.

I'm gonna go a little more lateral and suggest V-Dubbel. Put the word 'beetle' in the name and people will ask why. They never called them Soilent People for a reason.

I would tell them I named it after my mother's favourite car.

I would reach your lateralness but more laterally with lateralism rather than literalism.

Is light likely to be an issue with cling wrap? I've got my 1st ever 2 batches going with glad wrap & I love being able to see inside. The problem I've got is that the bunnings fermenter which lives in the bath (next to a (north facing) window) doesn't have pink dress technology built into it. The 60L LHBS fermenter in the fermenting fridge is at mardi gras. Is it worth chucking a tea towel over the glad wrap to keep the light out? I'm also wondering why I've had an airlock & 2 grommets sitting in my sanitising bucket the last 2 brewdays but haven't sanitised the lid either time.

P.S. Bloop Bloop Bloop

Is light likely to be an issue with cling wrap?
No more or less than sitting your fermenter in the sunlight is going to be an issue anyway.
If green (or clear) glass does not protect against skunking I can't imagine that an opaque-off-white-plastic fermenter is going to do any better.
If you have to keep your beer or fermenting wort anywhere near UV, direct sunlight or florescent lights, I'd be covering the entire thing up as best I could.

Hi Hatchy.

I reckon you should goto the op shop, get the cheapest and sexiest dress u can find, that way you can dress up your fermenter and keep the sun out. I hope you give her a foxy name. Or maybe slap some sunscreen on the fermenter . THe cheapo homebrand stuff will do. Coconut oil? Add a drop to the brew!

You can always wear the dress when you arent brewing, if you are into that sort thing :)

(or get another fridge :) or a bigger fridge! So that means u have a 50L and a 23L brew going at the once?? That is ALOT of beer mate!)

rendo

I am a cling wrapper.....will the real slim shady please stand up? No pin holes...no beetles, just a brewing window of happiness :beerbang: . (no bloop bloop bloop :( )

Is light likely to be an issue with cling wrap? I've got my 1st ever 2 batches going with glad wrap & I love being able to see inside. The problem I've got is that the bunnings fermenter which lives in the bath (next to a (north facing) window) doesn't have pink dress technology built into it. The 60L LHBS fermenter in the fermenting fridge is at mardi gras. Is it worth chucking a tea towel over the glad wrap to keep the light out? I'm also wondering why I've had an airlock & 2 grommets sitting in my sanitising bucket the last 2 brewdays but haven't sanitised the lid either time.

P.S. Bloop Bloop Bloop

I've been cling wrapping my last few brews, but they have all domed up and gushed krausen everywhere. I've take to poking a hole with a tiny needle in the centre, but that hasn't helped the gushing... maybe I should drop the batch size by a litre or so.

i decided to try this clingwrap caper recently.....
came out to check on my babies and saw little holes in the cling film..WTF? little finger sized holes. yes it appears my darling daughters have been in the outside room and thought it was fun to poke their fingers through the clingfilm. <_<

with kittens in airlocks, cats in fermentors and finger holes through glad wrap, i think i might stick with lids.

i decided to try this clingwrap caper recently.....
came out to check on my babies and saw little holes in the cling film..WTF? little finger sized holes. yes it appears my darling daughters have been in the outside room and thought it was fun to poke their fingers through the clingfilm. <_<

with kittens in airlocks, cats in fermentors and finger holes through glad wrap, i think i might stick with lids.

Kittens and kids? - stick with lids.

Yeah, I'd stick with lids too. Or lock your fermentation room so the little ones can't get to it.
fellas the kitten/cats comment is a long running joke on AHB. its not specifically that i have had kittens/cats in my brewing gear.
outside room is locked. unless the wife goes in and the kids follow....

its all cool, i dont care. lids or clingwrap, so long as my beer comes out good

fellas the kitten/cats comment is a long running joke on AHB. its not specifically that i have had kittens/cats in my brewing gear.
outside room is locked. unless the wife goes in and the kids follow....

its all cool, i dont care. lids or clingwrap, so long as my beer comes out good

I was merely making a friday rhyme - must been missed.. -_-

After having this happen to me...
krausen.jpg
Glad wrap is looking pretty good.
That is at the 12 hour mark of 50 litres of stout dropped on top of the yeast cake from a previous ale. Fermenter is 60 litre so I thought I had a bit of head room.

Took a 10 litre bucket of foam off and it was back to this in another few hours...

jesus christ hahaha.

BTW I started as a glad wrapper but didn't really like it and was gunna give it up, but since going to single layer only I love it and won't ever change.

DO NOT USE TWO LAYERS! trust me. You don't need to.

Back