Lid And Airlock Or Clingwrap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no gladwrap once so I stretched a latex glove over the cube's opening and poked holes in the middle two fingers so for a week it did the Devil's Horns.

That beer rocked.

That's rad :p Did you get photos?

Only people who attend Mardi Gras and wear pink dresses when they brew use airlocks... :icon_cheers:

Glad wrap works well, and you dont have to clean it

I burned my airlock as a demonstratable symbol of brewing emancipation, but also still use the lid with a cap.
Though I cant make it to the mardi gras surely this entitles me to wear a pink dress at least! :beerbang:

BB

Chucked a brew on yesterday, and lazily left it sitting on the floor in the laundry, wrapped in a wet towel, cling wrap nicely stretched over the top, thick krausen foaming away.

Miss Aged 2 was found this morning with her hand through the top of the fermenter, toy plastic giraffe in the other hand.

I wonder what I'm going to find in the bottom when I keg this up!!! :lol:

Hi All,

I have started to use cling wrap on the current brew and like the idea. A silly question is: will the CO2 displace the air between the wort and the cling wrap as it does with lid & airlock?

Cheers

Hi All,

I have started to use cling wrap on the current brew and like the idea. A silly question is: will the CO2 displace the air between the wort and the cling wrap as it does with lid & airlock?

Cheers

Yep, the CO2 produced is heavier than the 'air' and will push it out from underneath your glad wrap. I use a large rubber band to hold down the glad and the gas that 'normally' goes out the airlock finds a way out from the glad. Others I hear put a pin prick in their glad, I don't think it's necessary.

I have had much more success using glad wrap recently, because I went from using a double layer to a single layer. A single layer is much more manageable.

I have had much more success using glad wrap recently, because I went from using a double layer to a single layer. A single layer is much more manageable.
Try get your hands on that commercial stuff, Arthur had a bit of an offcut of a roll I seen in use, no screwing around with it aint wide enough, it aint quite thick enough etc etc. You would take this stuff to bed with you :eek: It is super, the stuff they use to wrap pallets etc
I have used the crappy thin stuff and yeah it was a PITA, but did the job. Airlocks? I prefer blowoff tubes then clingwrap, then a hydro reading, but never an airlock. Saying that, I dont ferment with anything more than 10-20% headspace.

Caterer's glad wrap is good if you can get a hold of it but I'm not sure about the coating on pallet shrink wrap being food safe.

Caterer's glad wrap is good if you can get a hold of it but I'm not sure about the coating on pallet shrink wrap being food safe.

We shrink wrap our pallets with the black stuff which I definitely wouldn't use. Not sure if there's some other stuff.

But yeah caters stuff would be good. I was going to look but to be honest with a single layer I'm fine.

Not nitpicking. If it doesnt come in contact why would it need to be "foodsafe". Anyways

Not nitpicking. If it doesnt come in contact why would it need to be "foodsafe". Anyways

I'm not sure. I guess more of a worry was not knowing what they actually do coat it with (it does get something to help it grab). I use it a fair bit in one of my jobs and it definitely has some kind of 'fragrance'. That potentially means it's emitting some kind of chemical. Admittedly all plastic (including my fermenters) has some kind of odour.

I'm not saying don't use it - just that that would be my first question (ie what's on it?).

I'm not sure. I guess more of a worry was not knowing what they actually do coat it with (it does get something to help it grab). I use it a fair bit in one of my jobs and it definitely has some kind of 'fragrance'. That potentially means it's emitting some kind of chemical. Admittedly all plastic (including my fermenters) has some kind of odour.

I'm not saying don't use it - just that that would be my first question (ie what's on it?).

hi guys,

we use this all the time at work its like glad wrap on steroids (i work in the fresh produce industry). we wrap pallets in it all the time albeit the fresh fruit and vege is in cartons most of the time - but not always. i'll check in the morning as to whether its foodsafe and cost etc. will let you know when i know, i dont think it is as 'see through' as the normal stuff (it certainly isnt opaque though) but it would certainly be more rugged, i don't think the stuff we use is any stickier than normal gladwrap but as it is denser it is probably easier to manage, ie doesnt fly around in the breeze etc.

cheers
matt

edited to say - isnt opaque

Condensation forms on the underside of the lid/clingwrap and then drips back into the fermenter - that would be enough 'contact' for me to question if it was "foodsafe" or not.

Condensation forms on the underside of the lid/clingwrap and then drips back into the fermenter - that would be enough 'contact' for me to question if it was "foodsafe" or not.

:rolleyes: Really? Maybe we put up a call for "competition placed cling wrappers versus yada yada" Just like NC vrs chillers, FFS?, get real Wolfy, you would be the first person too bet on both flies crawling up the wall and then take the postive side. Foodsafe FFS!

If you've had success using it Haysie then that's great. It's a fair enough question for anyone considering it though don't you think?

If you've had success using it Haysie then that's great. It's a fair enough question for anyone considering it though don't you think?

I didnt think it was a question Manticle. Nevertheless I couldnt give a rats ass if Wolfy suffocated himself in the shite. Before blasting off about food grade get some experience.

Mine was a question. I'd rather not fight with you online haysie (or really at all). We can talk about it over beer at the case swap.

As I said - I use the stuff to wrap pallets . Before using it for my beer I'd be interested to know what's in it. Fairly incongruous and not intended to cast aspersions on anyone who has or suggest their beer isn't up to scratch. I'd be the last person to do that without actually tasting it.

As for wolfy - I know neither of you so I won't enter that arena.

As for wolfy - I know neither of you so I won't enter that arena.
I was just playing devils-advocate and pointing out that there would be some interaction between a lid/wrap and whatever is fermenting inside - which is all that was asked. :)
I doubt the plastic in my esky-mashtun is 'food safe' but I use it anyway.

I doubt the plastic in my esky-mashtun is 'food safe' but I use it anyway.

Oh dear. Have the Esky mash tun users not checked this out? That's funny :lol: .

Mmmmmmm, boiled plasticizers .... can we all say, "Sperm Count"?

Latest posts

Back