Let me introduce myself, raise them beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paedro56

Reaction score
G'day everyone, I'm Pete and have just joined the AHB crew. After years of searching for a hobby that didn't cost the earth I found this one literally staring me right in the face. I just opened the first bottle of my second brew tonight, a Coopers European Lager, and was stoked at the taste but not impressed with the head retention. A web search on this topic led me to one of your forums and I felt like I'd hit the jackpot. I look forward to the learning and hope to one day be contributing to the knowledge base herein.
Cheers

Paedro56 said:
After years of searching for a hobby that didn't cost the earth
I've got some bad news for you, Paedro56 - this is only temporary.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Pedro!

Remember this old adage: Homebrewing, an expensive way to make cheap beer....

You will see.

BTW: Post, search, read, brew, enjoy!

The fold, you are now in it :p

Paedro56 said:
G'day everyone, I'm Pete and have just joined the AHB crew. After years of searching for a hobby that didn't cost the earth
Cheers
You're screwed Paedro, if all goes well you will spend your waking life obsessing over things like cell counts, ramp times and chloride:sulphate ratios. Welcome to the team.

Thanks everyone! Without being too confident, after 2 fairly successful dehydrated wort brews, I'm feeling like stepping it up to something more challenging. What do people suggest would be a next step from the basic brew kit brewing? I've been told to start adding hops and using different yeasts but would love a recipe that would challenge a novice......

As has been said so far a big welcome to you Paedro but you are in for a bit of a shock dollar-wise if you think home brewing is going to be cheap? :p
That is all up to you of course but I'm still spending multiple dollars multiplied by X after multiple years with no end in sight, in sight, in sight, in sight . :rolleyes:

All-grain brewing is still very achievable if you don't need the fancy bits & pieces & stick to the basics but the Dark Side will always temp you with lots of BLING -- BLING -- BLING!

Good luck with your future brewing mate & also ----

:icon_offtopic: Rock on Maroons 2013!

8-In-A-Row!

Oh yeah!!!!
PS ---- sorry about that New South! :lol:

Even an overnight steep with a couple of crushed grains and a small boil is a glorious addition to the kit beers, add a small dry hop perhaps, see how you go… a bit of grain makes a hell of a difference to a kit brew mate..

Hope you have a shed… lol

Paedro56 said:
Thanks everyone! Without being too confident, after 2 fairly successful dehydrated wort brews, I'm feeling like stepping it up to something more challenging. What do people suggest would be a next step from the basic brew kit brewing? I've been told to start adding hops and using different yeasts but would love a recipe that would challenge a novice......
And so it begins...

I went straight to all grain by using BIAB, it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be but the difference to kit beers, for me at least, was significant. I haven't been brewing too long so there are plenty of guys on here that will offer better advice, but I would say look at BIAB as an option. It might save you money by skipping partials etc and going to where you will end up anyway...

btw - I reckon this would have to be the best thread title I have seen on AHB so far, busted out as soon as I read it

edit - Welcome to AHB! for recipes I reckon knock up a dr smurto golden ale, it's highest rated for good reason.

Thanks again for the welcome everyone. Moad, you are hearing me brother. I like the in-the-bag idea and its likely to be my next venture but I'll be well out of my depth. I'd love to eventually have a proper setup and I have a plumber bro-inlaw who is currently sourcing an Aquamax heating tank for me. Thanks again all and I look forward to creating some magic. If it gives me the pleasure I've experienced from my brew tonight then I'm definitely addicted......

...Suffa MC been doing this for more than 10 years

Welcome aboard.

Moad said:
It might save you money by skipping partials etc and going to where you will end up anyway...
I disagree completely. There are plenty of fundamentals that can be better learned by progressing...uh...progressively.

Getting a little tired of saying that though so half-arsed methods for everyone!!!

Bum, I'd like to think I'm in it for the long haul so not interested in being half-arsed about it and would appreciate any ideas of how to go about progressing my knowledge. Having said that, I'm likely to be brewing another European Lager soon as its been a real hit in my household with the lovely missus providing very positive feedback!

Hey Paedro, the euro lager goes well with a small steep of carahell, 150gm and some carapils, 150gm. Steep in 65c water for 45-60min starin and boil for 60 minutes, add about 12gm of Hallertau or Saaz to the boil with about 10 minutes to go. Strain this into your fermenter and use as your hot water addition. Comes up quite nice.
Not a bad idea to get an extra pack of dry lager yeast to go with the kit which is S-189. Ferment low to mid teens, the lower the better.

Progress involves bum around here wether you want it or not .
He is quite stricked at times with how far we are aloud to progress but at least he is honest
Shit I may have said too much ....
The all seeing arse sees evereythung

northside novice said:
He is quite strict at times with how far we are allowed to progress but at least he is honest
I guess I can see what you mean (in your drunken hysteria) but I dispute the word I've made bold in the strongest terms. I'll happily allow anyone to progress as far as they wish. What concerns me is the popular trend to wallow.

I do appreciate your acknowledgement of my not-evil intentions even if you don't agree with them (uh, not saying your intentions are evil, of course).

NB: stealth edit made to quote to bypass nasty comments from me.

Don't bite so quick man, hysteria is quite an compliment , thank you .
Per example was meaning how fast and quick you are to keep some semblance of control of what is an out if control thing .
Which I love you for

Back