Lessons Learnt From My First Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bung89

Reaction score
Ok so myself and another ahb member (hopie) had our first all grain brew day yesterday using the mini-biab method to make an all amarillo american pale ale (recipe found here http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=153)

It was a bit of a shitfight but I think the beer will be ok despite our best efforts to ruin it.

well here's the lessons I remember from start to finish:

1. If you feel the need to drink heavily through the brew day, EAT BREAKFAST!
2. If you feel the need to drink heavily through the brew day and choose not to eat breakfast, EAT LUNCH!
3. Don't forget to measure volume and gravity at start of boil.
4. Don't forget about first hop addition till 5 minutes after it's due because you're getting into the proffesional bull riding on tv.
5. Don't forget to measure volume and gravity at end of boil.
6. A tube in an esky full of ice is not the greatest invention in chilling and you will end up using the laundry sink.
7. When filling the laundry sink to chill, turn off tap before leaving laundry to watch tv.
8. It's very hard to tape a temp controller probe to a fermenter even with 2 people when those 2 people are drunk.
9. It's even harder than that trying to program that temp controller.
10. Don't leave thongs at mates house when the missus picks you up then have to walk into dominos barefoot feeling like a complete derro.
11. Drink plenty of water before bed and don't plan brew days when you have work the next day :icon_vomit:

I think that just about covers it but I'm sure hopie will remember things I don't.
Oh and we did plan on taking pics for you all but like just about everything else... we forgot :unsure:

I think point 1 and 2 covers the whole rest of the list lol.

Read it once read it all the time, guys that brew better beer dont drink till its chilling :p well thats sometimes. why do you think people post at 10am about there brew day?? they start at 4am so they dont drink threw it ;)

I think you pretty much got it all there bungy except one last thing, if you think its hot enough that you don't need a heater element in your fermentation fridge its probably not so put one in just incase but hey all things aside fermentation has kicked off and we shall see how it turns out.
Cheers,
Hopie

I think point 1 and 2 covers the whole rest of the list lol.

Read it once read it all the time, guys that brew better beer dont drink till its chilling :p well thats sometimes. why do you think people post at 10am about there brew day?? they start at 4am so they dont drink threw it ;)

Haha yeah we're already planning a bbq during the next brew day and not cracking the first beer till we've had a good feed. and we'll be printing off a checklist. Should make a big difference.

FFS. Next thing you'll say is you cant have a beer while fishing...
Screw that - I'll keep brewing on the edge.
Well done on your first BIAB.
Cheers
BBB

No beers until first hop addition. You broke the golden rule :p

No beers until first hop addition. You broke the golden rule :p

+1

I find after I've done my start of boil measurements, weighed all my additions and set timers I can let it rip

Then it's just a matter of dumping the right bowl when the alarm sounds. When there are no more bowls and an alarm sounds, turn off the gas and whirlpool ;)

Helps that I no chill though.

sober brewdays, like that will ever happen :ph34r: :icon_drunk: :lol:
nothing like clearing the mind before brewing.
the next brew day will be easier for sure, i use the timers in brewmate on my laptop and have all ingredients measured out ready to go,
it has saved me a few times when the grey matter went to hibernation mode.
congrats on your first ag, you'll be glad you did it. :icon_cheers:

My first Biab brew day is Saturday, if I can get rid of the lurgy I've got, I'll take note of your tips!

Back