Left Over Hops - Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stav

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been doing extract brewing for several months now and have accumulated several types of hops that i've been storing in the freezer.

Thought I might do a couple of brews this weekend, just simple stuff to use some hops try different combinations,or maybe use all the same hop in some a brew to really taste what the different varieties
I've had a bit of a search around but don't seem to be finding much. This is what i've got left, looking for some good ideas to use these up.
Chech Saaz - 35g
Hallertau - 75g
Galaxy - 45g
Northern brewer - 75g
cascade - 50g
EK goldings - 80g
B Saaz - monetuka - 65g
Cascade - USA - 65g

Stav

B Saaz - monetuka - 65g
Cascade - USA - 65g

Smurtos Golden Ale!!!!!

or is it Tony's Bright Ale that uses this combo,,,,,,second thought i reckon it's the bright ale clone in the database. Ripper of a recipe.

Could use the Galaxy & Cascade in an APA. The Saaz & Halletau in some sort of Lager. If the NB is from the US then I'd keep that for a Cal Common, the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles always turns out pretty nice. Goldings I'd put in a Bitter of some sort.

I'd go an IPA

Bitter with northern brewer. Cascade/galaxy/b saaz combo late and dry hopped.

Wow quick replies! :D
The usa cascade and b saaz are left over from making teh bright ale clone thats currently being conditioned. can't wait to taste that one !
The galaxy was left over from ale I did.. i've used tiny quanties of glaxy since and it seems to really take over with it's passionfruityness.
the IPA suggested, withe the cascade/galaxy/b sazz late, would the galaxy take over a bit too much there? how would it be if I left it out?

would any of those hops listed be good for use in a single hop ale? i had thought i might just go and buy a few kgs of light malt extract and then brew some real simple ones to try and get a good taste for the different hop varieties...

Cal Common is all USA Northern Brewer

Wow quick replies! :D
The usa cascade and b saaz are left over from making teh bright ale clone thats currently being conditioned. can't wait to taste that one !
The galaxy was left over from ale I did.. i've used tiny quanties of glaxy since and it seems to really take over with it's passionfruityness.
the IPA suggested, withe the cascade/galaxy/b sazz late, would the galaxy take over a bit too much there? how would it be if I left it out?

would any of those hops listed be good for use in a single hop ale? i had thought i might just go and buy a few kgs of light malt extract and then brew some real simple ones to try and get a good taste for the different hop varieties...
You'd defiantly taste the galaxy :icon_drool2: . If you don't like it leave it out. Cascade and b saaz is a nice combo. Whatever floats your boat.

Any of those hops would work on their own. It would be a good way of working out what each contributes.

Back