Leffe Radieuse Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not used cara-aroma but I use aromatic a fair bit these days -it's closer to victory malt than to any of the crystals. I'd be grabbing some biscuit or victory as closer (but not exact) subs.

Cheers for the replies all. I am brewing tomorrow and wont be getting my hands on any Victory or Biscuit in the meantime so I think I will have to settle for a something along the lines of tipryas suggestion.

Maybe drop the Special B by halfish, adding another 250g of Munich, and losing 200g of Pilsener. Like this:

5.6kg Pilsner Malt (Dingerman's)
700g Munich Light (12L)
230g CaraMunich (60L)
230g Aromatic (18L)
100g Special B (120L)

370g Dark Candi Syrup (half a 500ml bottle)
300g White Sugar

42g Hallertau Mittelfruh 5.2% 60min

WYeast 3787

1.075 OG estimated, 1.015 FG estimated

See how we go!

Hey McFeast,

I got it in the keg a couple of weeks back. Had an issue with hitting my desired SG, so I bumped it up with another 300grams of table sugar after a few days in Primary.

A lovely brew at the moment, have snuck a few cheeky glasses so far but trying to hold off with hitting it too hard, hoping it will age well. I gave it the old pepsi challenge against the real thing the other day, looked identical in the glass (I genuinely couldnt tell the difference) and I thought I might be onto an excellent clone but as soon as I tasted the real thing I realised I hadn't hit the mark.

I would need to be tasting both as I write to describe the difference, but there was just something about the commercial beer that I really liked that wasn't present in my version. Don't get me wrong, I am super happy with my beer, absolutely lovely, but it doesn't do justice to the real thing.

I have created Belgian strong ales in the past that I have been super happy with, and it's not until I bring home a Leffe or a Duvel and taste them right along side one another that I find that for some reason mine is just not up to that standard. It might be an issue with the age of the beer (I never leave mine for long enough), it might be the fact that I always use Joe White Traditional as a base (not that there is anything wrong with that!) Just realised that my recipe above quotes Dingemans Pilsner, I didn't use this, I used JW Trad.

Anyone else find that they can't quite create that Leffe flavour?

You need God on your side to brew like a monk.

God know what you need to brew like a German. A BMW? A robot-like attitude?

Back