Leaking Regulator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

String

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just setting up my kit for the first time and am checking if I have any leaks in the system.

When I turn on the regulator, my full 6kg gas bottle shows about 40 Bar.
I dialled up 100Kpa on the regulator into the gas lines, let it stabilise, and turned off the gas bottle.
After 20 mins, the gas bottle shows 0 pressure and the gas lines are down to 50 Kpa.
I've only got the system set as far as the line from the regulator to the manifold, which is a Keg King twin outlet model.

Do I have a gas leak? or have I done something wrong? I'm thinking the leak is in the regulator somewhere.

Thanks

Hi all,

Just setting up my kit for the first time and am checking if I have any leaks in the system.

I dialled up 100Kpa on the regulator into the gas lines, let it stabilise, and turned off the gas bottle.
After 20 mins, the gas bottle shows 0 pressure and the gas lines are down to 50 Kpa.
I've only got the system set as far as the line from the regulator to the manifold, which is a Keg King twin outlet model.

Do I have a gas leak? or have I done something wrong? I'm thinking the leak is in the regulator somewhere.

Thanks
i would more likely think that some of the c02 has dissolved into your beer, the gas bottle is off so 0 pressure i wouldnt worry about. if you are concerned about leakages do the whole soapy water over joints to see if there is bubbling of course if it bubbles there is a leak

cheers
Mikey

Hi all,

Thanks
is this happening connected to kegs?
if so then as Mikey said, it will be your beer consuming the CO2.

If it does this with the kegs disconnected, then you have a leak somewhere

I have no kegs connected to the system, just a single gas line from the Reg to the Dual manifold.

Dunking the manifold in water gives a small bubble (about 2mm) every 30 seconds or so.
Spraying the other joints with water doesn't show anything. So that's why I'm thinking it's the Regulator.

It's a micromatic one I bought second-hand. I can't see any obvious leaks in it though, is there a known place these things tend to leak?

hi mate i recently had a slow leak between reg and bottle. i changed the washer between reg and bottle and problem solved. might be of help to you. cheers.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a washer.

The regulator is similar to this model:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/r...rs-pid-642.html

So I understand how a regulator works, if I dial up 100kpa into my gas line, and then turn the gas off at the bottle, the regulator should keep the 100kpa in the gas lines, even if the seal between the reg and the gas bottle leaks?

Or does the lack of pressure on the gas bottle side of the regulator mean that the gas can leak back from the gas line side of the regulator to the gas bottle side of the regulator, and so thats why the gas line pressure drops slowly?

Back