LCPA dry hops to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete brews

Reaction score
Hi I just brewed a lcpa clone with cascade and Chinook, does anyone know what hops to dry hop it with to get close to lcpa? cheers

The original version of LCPA (from ~ 10 years ago) was hopped with chinook and cascade with EKG as a bittering addition. The current version is very much the poor cousin of the original.

My clone recipe is almost identical to the original (have done blind side-by-side tastings with people with excellent palates) and is dry hopped with 1g/L of each chinook and cascade.

JD

The original version of LCPA (from ~ 10 years ago) was hopped with chinook and cascade with EKG as a bittering addition. The current version is very much the poor cousin of the original.

My clone recipe is almost identical to the original (have done blind side-by-side tastings with people with excellent palates) and is dry hopped with 1g/L of each chinook and cascade.

JD
Thanks JDW81! any chance you could post your recipe? keen to give it a go!

There's a PDF of it' in this thread. It also gives a bit of info around the recipe itself as the percentages in the recipe for the grain and the hop ratios are correct but most of the other numbers aren't (they are beer smith numbers which I generally ignore as I do a lot of my own calculations based on my gear and experience).

JD.

There's a PDF of it' in this thread. It also gives a bit of info around the recipe itself as the percentages in the recipe for the grain and the hop ratios are correct but most of the other numbers aren't (they are beer smith numbers which I generally ignore as I do a lot of my own calculations based on my gear and experience).

JD.
Your a legend JDW81! on my to brew list

JD
I believe it was a Tasmanian grown Goldings, not East Kent Goldings. Tassie Goldings weren't available when the home brew version of the recipe was created.
Not that it would make a great deal of difference, its not all that bitter so anything that wont interfere with the flavour from the late hops would be fine, including Magnum among many other options.
Mark

I believe it was a Tasmanian grown Goldings, not East Kent Goldings. Tassie Goldings weren't available when the home brew version of the recipe was created.
Not that it would make a great deal of difference, its not all that bitter so anything that wont interfere with the flavour from the late hops would be fine, including Magnum among many other options.
Mark

Is there much difference between tassie goldings and EKG?

TBH, I think I only ever used goldings in the first incarnation of it, after that I think I used cascade for the bittering addition (with no appreciable difference in the final beer).

JD

JD
When do you dry hop and for how long JD?

As a general rule I'll drop hop when the gravity is about 4 points off what I expect my FG will be. Usually stay in for about 4-5 days at fermentation temp then cold crash for about 48 hours before I keg.

JD

As a general rule I'll drop hop when the gravity is about 4 points off what I expect my FG will be. Usually stay in for about 4-5 days at fermentation temp then cold crash for about 48 hours before I keg.

JD
Cheers mate!

Latest posts

Back