Lc Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_orange

Reaction score
Just tasting a LCPA Clone, only two weeks old......yes I know, patience is definitely not one of my virtues......and its very, very tasty!

Its as close as I've got to the real thing in all my attempts (at least 4).

The recipe was as follows;

- 1 can of Coopers Pale Ale
- 1kg of light dry malt
- 3x cascade finishing hops socks (approx 12 grams in each)
- Yeast from Coopers PA kit

Boiled first of the cascade socks up with LDM for 10mins, added second lot of casade hops with the
yeast to the wort (which was made up to 23 litres).

The final cascade sock was added to fermenter after vigorous primary ferment completed.

No taste of kit detected and has a very authentic LCPA flavour/aroma... Thoroughly recommend it!!

yeah sounds good.

do you know the hops used in lcpa? is it all cascade or is there a bittering hop

yeah sounds good.

do you know the hops used in lcpa? is it all cascade or is there a bittering hop

According to their web-site they use "bag-loads" of chinook and cascade. I just decided on the cascade for this batch.

yeah sounds good.

I believe the Chinook is used for bittering, so probably wouldn't need it with the CPA kit.

I have a LCPA clone in primary ferment at the moment, similar recipe, used the Black Rock East India Pale Ale kit, 1kg light DME, and 15gm cascade hops boiled for 10 mins. Will dry hop with another 15gm cascade when I rack to secondary in the next couple of days.

Really looking forward to trying this, it smells fantastic, don't know if I'll be able to let it condition in the bottles for 4 weeks :icon_drunk:

yeah I might try one soon but I dont like chinook well not as a flavor hop anyway but do like lcpa so might try it with little chinook as bittering to see lol

G'day,

I put a LCPA clone down recently also...just being patient at the moment and waiting for it to age atleast another week before I crack a bottle.

I used a recipe I found on another website as a guide, which seemed to be quite highly regarded as a ridiculously close clone to the LCPA.

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Australian Draught (they used Morgans Stockmans Draught)
1.5kg Coopers Light LME (I think they used Morgans again)

15g Cascade hops @ 15 mins
15g Cluster hops @ 15 mins
10g Chinook hops dry hopped at day 4.

(Others have recommended that the Chinook and the Cascade be swapped for even better results)

Safale S-05 dry yeast.

Maintained ferment at 18 - 20 degrees Celcius.

Allowed to stay in primary for a total of 2 weeks.

Cold crashed to 4 degrees for 2 days.

Bottled with dextrose.

OG- 1044
FG- 1012

Lucky for me I'll be at Little Creatures Brewery this Friday, just before going to see John Butler Trio perform!

Hey mate, i strongly suggest you try this one, when i used to do kits it was always the best! The addition of wheat malt extract really helps.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
25g Cascade hops Half 5min, 72hour dry drop
25g Chinook hops Half 5min, 0min
150g Wheat Malt extract - Steep
250 grams Dextrose
US-05 Yeast

Any questions PM and ill teach you to brew it.

Hey mate, i strongly suggest you try this one, when i used to do kits it was always the best! The addition of wheat malt extract really helps.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
250 grams Dextrose
US-05 Yeast

I am about 1 week into 'almost' this brew (Morgans goo, no dex, 100g more wheat malt, 5g more of each hop). Its smelling lush.

Does it get close to LCPA in your experience?

Well, its got that kit malt taste of course, but the wheat really improves things on the maly side.
And the hops (especially since you went with 30 and 30, it should come out amazing!

How long did you boil them for?

This one will blow LCPA out of the water but has similar hop flavour.Tucans AIPA

Well, its got that kit malt taste of course, but the wheat really improves things on the maly side.
And the hops (especially since you went with 30 and 30, it should come out amazing!

How long did you boil them for?

Umm......I kinda got lazy......20g Cascade/10g Chinook steeped in a cup of boiling H2O and chucked into the fermentor at the start. 10g Cascade/20g Chinook dry hopped at 72 hours. Hopefully not to OTT?

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
250 grams Dextrose
US-05 Yeast

How many IBU's for the hops? AA%'s?
Is the Wheat Malt liquid or dry? I have never used this before, ianh's spreadsheet designer lists Wheat Malt as available both as LME and DME.

Would love to give this a go...

Cheers,

bignath

sorry, think i just answered one of my questions for me.....

note to self, read postings a little better....

Big nath, if your still asking, i used powder, but liquid would do, just up it to 300g.
I could tell you the IBUs from those hops but it'd be barely anything. About 1.8 IBU for the Cascade @ 5 min and about 5 for the Chinook @ 5 min. 0 for both steep and dry.

Waggastew, you'll be right! only thing is, dry hopping can have great aroma but not as much taste. I would boil 20g of each and dry hop 10g each AFTER fermentation. That being said, thats just me Good luck!

Big nath, if your still asking, i used powder, but liquid would do, just up it to 300g.
I could tell you the IBUs from those hops but it'd be barely anything. About 1.8 IBU for the Cascade @ 5 min and about 5 for the Chinook @ 5 min. 0 for both steep and dry.

Waggastew, you'll be right! only thing is, dry hopping can have great aroma but not as much taste. I would boil 20g of each and dry hop 10g each AFTER fermentation. That being said, thats just me Good luck!

I always report in upon first tastings so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks fella. Just ran your recipe through the spreadsheet and it comes in very close to what you said, using the AA from the hops page as a guide.

cheers mate

G'day,

I put a LCPA clone down recently also...just being patient at the moment and waiting for it to age atleast another week before I crack a bottle.

I used a recipe I found on another website as a guide, which seemed to be quite highly regarded as a ridiculously close clone to the LCPA.

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Australian Draught (they used Morgans Stockmans Draught)
1.5kg Coopers Light LME (I think they used Morgans again)

15g Cascade hops @ 15 mins
15g Cluster hops @ 15 mins
10g Chinook hops dry hopped at day 4.

(Others have recommended that the Chinook and the Cascade be swapped for even better results)

Safale S-05 dry yeast.

Maintained ferment at 18 - 20 degrees Celcius.

Allowed to stay in primary for a total of 2 weeks.

Cold crashed to 4 degrees for 2 days.

Bottled with dextrose.

OG- 1044
FG- 1012

Looks like Boonies LCPA recipe should produce a very good brew. Quite well known.
LCPA is one of the most requested clones with good reason easy drinking with a good hop character.

Acasta,

if not using grains, how much volume would you boil the hop additions at 5mins for? Do you add the LDM and Wheat Malt to this boil also?

bignath

Back