Launceston Beerfest, Kick Snare Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloveski

Reaction score
Went to the Launceston beerfest yesterday. As a new brewer found it to be an awesome day to try different types of brew.
Highlight was Kick Snare Brewing .....there Smashitup XPA was simply the nicest beer I have ever tasted.
Thought I would mention it here incase anyone was going along today.

I tend to agree, its right up there for me too however I had mine in Agrarian Kitchen at Willow Court. Thinking of trying to make something very similar. Can't get Not for Horses XPA Malt anymore, so will have to go with pale malt, and the only hops is whirlpooled Galaxy.

Use 100% pilsner malt , Hopstand @70 degrees with 1 gram per litre of Galaxy for 30 min before transfering, and then dry hop with 1 gram per litre of Galaxy will get you in the ball park . Looking for an OG of 1.048 mash at 66 . Use US05.

Use 100% pilsner malt , Hopstand @70 degrees with 1 gram per litre of Galaxy for 30 min before transfering, and then dry hop with 1 gram per litre of Galaxy will get you in the ball park . Looking for an OG of 1.048 mash at 66 . Use US05.

Awesome thanks mate be sure to have a crack at this soon!

So with hop standing, you instead of chilling straight down to pitching temp, you stop at 70 degrees for 30 mins then after that bring the temp down to pitching temp?

So with hop standing, you instead of chilling straight down to pitching temp, you stop at 70 degrees for 30 mins then after that bring the temp down to pitching temp?

Yep spot on mate

Yep, that 70C hop stand makes a HUGE difference compared to higher temp hop stands, with any hops. If it's going to be a relatively large hop addition, you can do it at 75C and you'll end up in the 70 range.

Yep, that 70C hop stand makes a HUGE difference compared to higher temp hop stands, with any hops. If it's going to be a relatively large hop addition, you can do it at 75C and you'll end up in the 70 range.
Totally agree , I use this technique for any 0 minute additions / hop stands / whirlpools I also use a hop bag for any bittering additions , and remove from wort once boil time is finished and then add back in once temp is down to 70 degrees . Adds longer to brew day but beers are better tasting and smelling in my opinion

Might add this technique was recommended to me by Andrew from kick snare , aswell as the above recipe . Great bloke

Might add this technique was recommended to me by Andrew from kick snare , aswell as the above recipe . Great bloke

Sorry to bring this back up, but im looking at brewing this soon.

Really, so he suggested that recipe and method, that's cool.
So hop stand 1 gram of galaxy hops per litre of wort. Is that right?

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this back up, but im looking at brewing this soon.

Really, so he suggested that recipe and method, that's cool.
So hop stand 1 gram of galaxy hops per litre of wort. Is that right?

Yep spot on , you could adjust to your own taste

Latest posts

Back