Late Mash Additions For Dark Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Hi Ya all

I just wanted to raise late additions of dark malts to a mash - I did this on my last brew - was trying to make a stout but b/c of the late addition didn't contribute as much colour but the flavour was so much better than normal - a real aromatic and intense coffee aroma which i have never acheived when adding dark grains to the main mash.

Any comments/ ideas - I'm thinking for my next stout I will add a serious amount of late mash dark grains for the full effect - for any sheaf stout lovers - I'm thinking this may be the route to go - you don't get any grain astringency or that kinda flat charcoally flavour - far more aromatic and rich

anyone tried it

lou

Great idea. I might give that a shot ion a dark lager or something. I like that strogn burnt/roasted characters in stouts personally :)

Late additions work, but try some Carafa Special. As it is de-husked there is little chance of astringency, well not from the dark grains anyway.

I am a big fan of the Carafa 3 you can use amounts that would be impossible with Roast Barley or Black Malt.

Ash
For Dark Lagers I am hooked on the Cara Red and Cara Aroma.

MHB

By adding the grains late in the mash, isn't there a risk of there being a lot of unconverted starches into the wort? Forgive my drunkenness for mentioning this, as I may be totally out on this point.

Cheers :)

By the time it is toasted to blackness, all the sugars have been converted into caramels and other bits. The fermentable extract potential for black grain is virtually zero.

MHB

By adding the grains late in the mash, isn't there a risk of there being a lot of unconverted starches into the wort? Forgive my drunkenness for mentioning this, as I may be totally out on this point.

Cheers :)

Stoodoo,

specialty grains like roast have had all their starches converted to sugars in the malting process, hence there's no need to mash at all - just a case of washing out the sugars. cold steeping is a way of extracting without harshness, I've used this to good effect in stouts before.

cheers Ross

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll crawl back to my little corner now.

I picked myself up some carafa special and plan on using it in my next brew - generally i am not so worried about astringency - just getting a powerful aromatic coffee choc roast punch in my stout. I am thinking it is alot like making coffee - you don't want to over brew the coffee - it would just taste too bitter and flat - I 'll keep experimenting

lou

Hi Ya all

I just wanted to raise late additions of dark malts to a mash - I did this on my last brew - was trying to make a stout but b/c of the late addition didn't contribute as much colour but the flavour was so much better than normal - a real aromatic and intense coffee aroma which i have never acheived when adding dark grains to the main mash.

Any comments/ ideas - I'm thinking for my next stout I will add a serious amount of late mash dark grains for the full effect - for any sheaf stout lovers - I'm thinking this may be the route to go - you don't get any grain astringency or that kinda flat charcoally flavour - far more aromatic and rich

anyone tried it

lou

These days I soak my dark grains overnight in cold water and add to the mash in the last 30mins of a 90 min mash ,not sure if it makes any difference it was reccommended but just got into the habit .It is supposed to make the beer tast smoother .
I used to have to leave my brown ales a while before they were drinkable but this way I can keg quicker .

Pumpy :)

Pumpy

Back