Late Hopping Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
I am brewing a kits and bits dark ale for a mate on the weekend. Have been doing a few for him and use the following base recipe:

Coopers English Bitter
Coopers Amber Malt
Steep some choc wheat, roast barley, crystal (amounts vary based on what I have around)

In the past I have put some hops into the boil just to trick it up a bit (POR or EKG). Any thoughts on what might a good combo? I have available Saaz, EKG, POR (homegrown flowers), Perle, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Nel Sav, Galaxy, Tettanger.

The bloke is more of a dark/amber ale drinker so I think I should steer clear of the US/NZ hops? Anyone had success with late hopping dark ales with noble hops e.g. saaz, tettanger, perle?

I am brewing a kits and bits dark ale for a mate on the weekend. Have been doing a few for him and use the following base recipe:

Coopers English Bitter
Coopers Amber Malt
Steep some choc wheat, roast barley, crystal (amounts vary based on what I have around)

In the past I have put some hops into the boil just to trick it up a bit (POR or EKG). Any thoughts on what might a good combo? I have available Saaz, EKG, POR (homegrown flowers), Perle, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Nel Sav, Galaxy, Tettanger.

The bloke is more of a dark/amber ale drinker so I think I should steer clear of the US/NZ hops? Anyone had success with late hopping dark ales with noble hops e.g. saaz, tettanger, perle?

Im about to do a old ale style (with oak if i can be bothered) and am deciding what hops to use so have a similar decision to make. EKG will be good for sure (though i don't have any so not an option for me right now) because it works both in early and late hopping IMO. POR would be pretty risky as a late hop don't see much flavour there. Simcoe is super astringent as a late hop IMO...grassy and piney which wouldn't go well with a dark ale. I've used cascade in dark beers and its fine...not sure about amarillo though. I have some styrian goldings i'm going to try in my dark beer i think.....

Not sure you will get alot of flavour from the noble hops late in the boil with that much malt going on....but can't hurt. I knew a guy who swore by using Saaz in his porter....

I've used Saaz, Cascade and Goldings from that list, all very nice, but not mixed together.
I'd choose just one and use that.

Cascade is nice, the Americans use it a lot in dark beer.

Doesn't look very dark though, more of an English Brown by the looks, nothing wrong with that though.

I'd go the EKG from that list. I've used a fair whack of Styrian Goldings with the EB kit and loved it, from memory it's what is used in the kit anyway, but all kits need more hops anyway IMO

Back