Large Stainless Steel Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nifty

Reaction score
I was in Budget Camping at Minchinbury in Sydney's west today, and saw a large ss pot, I think about 75 or more litres, for sale. It was going for $75.00. The staff couldn't tell me how many litres it holds, but it is way bigger than my 50 litre aly pot. It has a lid and riveted handles, although the handles didn't look that strong.

crappy phone photo -

Big_Pot.jpg

Corner of Colyton Rd and Great Western Hwy.

No affiliation etc etc

cheers

nifty

There are very similar looking pots (48x49cm) available in Perth at Kong's in Northbridge on William Street for $50. I picked one up a few weeks back as a HLT.

I got one of those pots...really $ht staino...to the point it will start to rust. If you check a magnet will actually stick to them.

OK for a HLT as long as you go weldless fittings...don't bother trying to weld them...they pull all over the place :(

Hey Nifty,
Did they have any large round coolers in there? I'm at Quakers and have been meaning to call in there to see if they hve something suitably large for a mash tun.

Hey Nifty,
Did they have any large round coolers in there? I'm at Quakers and have been meaning to call in there to see if they hve something suitably large for a mash tun.

Hi Berto

I didn't see many coolers. Down the road in the Minchinbury Home Centre there is a Coleman outlet that had medium sized round coolers, I think about 36 litres. They weren't that cheap, I think they were about $100.
cheers

nifty

i've got one of these too and it does the job as a kettle for me. i use an auto siphon so i dont have to bother with welding taps etc. i wouldn't risk doing any drilling, welding etc on these but for the price you can't really go wrong.

i wouldn't risk doing any drilling, welding etc on these but for the price you can't really go wrong.

I would reccomend a sturdy aluminium pot above a subby SS pot any day...they are easy to work, light to carry, sure they scratch easier and dent pretty easily as well..but a far better proposition...a mate of mine got one from a catering supply shop that had a wall thickness of about 5mm...massive...better heat conductor as well, I had a 70 litre one for years.
Just make sure you go to a catering supply type place.

K

I drilled three holes in mine today (two 7/8", one 1 5/16") and had no issues with warping or anything similar. One more to drill tomorrow (1/2") and it'll be ready for fitting bulkhead, temp probe, element and sight glass.

i wouldn't risk doing any drilling, welding etc on these but for the price you can't really go wrong.

I would reccomend a sturdy aluminium pot above a subby SS pot any day...they are easy to work, light to carry, sure they scratch easier and dent pretty easily as well..but a far better proposition...a mate of mine got one from a catering supply shop that had a wall thickness of about 5mm...massive...better heat conductor as well, I had a 70 litre one for years.
Just make sure you go to a catering supply type place.

K

Kurtz

Will probably be met with a large degree of bigotry by the SS snobs on this forum. (can't remember why :blink: ). FWIW I wholeheartedly agree with you and I'm thinking of getting my 80 litre ally pot bronzed in it's honour. :beerbang:

Warren -

i say use what works for you. I just bought a new pot, 36L robinox because i needed a flat bottom for my whirlpool. the robinox pots have about a 1cm base so the heat willbe transfered evenly over the base.

Aluminium is easier to work than Stainless, lighter and a better conductor. I just wonder why those people spending millions of dollars building breweries havent worked this out for them selves.

Maybe every professional brewery designer in the world should be reading AHB instead of the obvious twaddle they teach people doing engineering degrees.

:p
MHB

ally pots are usually thinner arent they? if your kettle is too thin you can caramelise very quickly. i dont tihnk ally can withstand caustic like stainless so on a big scale, cleaning would be veyr difficult. can ally be welded to stainless fittings?

think you hit the nail on the head Ash - caustic eats the crap out of aluminium

Back