Lame Ass Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koikaze

Reaction score
Hey has anyone ever tried this... I was thinking about it last night and i dont see why it wouldn't work.

After primary, if i rack to a secondary and bulk prime, then seal up the secondary (no airlock, make it tight) and use that to carbonate. and let it sit for a few weeks, and get a lot of friends around to drink it all up in one night.

Anyone see any flaws?

Hey has anyone ever tried this... I was thinking about it last night and i dont see why it wouldn't work.

After primary, if i rack to a secondary and bulk prime, then seal up the secondary (no airlock, make it tight) and use that to carbonate. and let it sit for a few weeks, and get a lot of friends around to drink it all up in one night.

Anyone see any flaws?

I would be worried about the fermenter exploding or warping

I haven't met a fermenter that will take that kind of pressure

Use a cube rather than a fermenter, carbonate lightly and you'll be right. English ale yeast, English hops > real ale.

Why not just make a party keg? Or two?

Seems a better idea to me, and if you had two smaller ones they would be easier and faster to chill and you wouldn't need as many friends... Maybe thats just beneficial in my case!

Do you mean like this? :eek:
SANY0023.JPG

Only suggestion I have is force carbonate at low temperatures so that pressure is kept low.

Anyone see any flaws?
Just the one: BOOM!

Fermenters are not pressure vessels. I remember reading some British home brewing books by CJJ Berry and he talks about some of the plastic pressure barrels for carbonating, these are not the same as fermenters, they are specifically designed to take the pressure.

:icon_cheers:
EK

trust me on this....cubes cant take it! i kind of stretched mine out to hold an extra 2-3L or so one time....dont ask how.

but yeah, cubes cant take the pressure.

would be interesting to try and make a metal cube with a tap....cos it would be great for parties. not that anyone would appreciate english real ale at parties...

Slacka: please tell me thats not your cube! :D

I can't see why you wouldn't use a pressure sprayer - sure they cost a few dollars more but even if you don't go the full conversion to party-keg it has to be a safer option than a cube or fermenter.

I had a hop flower block my airlock a few years back

Checked the fermenter the next morning and it was bloated and hissing like a snake.

I wouldnt do it.

thats what kegs are for

cheers

lol thanks guys glad i asked the forums before i tried! I wont be doing that anytime soon...

Back