Lambic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
i'm making a lambic with the wyeast lambic blend and cantillon dregs and have planned it all out off there recipe although it was suggested to add 100grams of caramunich and 100 grams of aroma for my 15litre batch which is differant from my original recipe of well just a can of wheat malt extract... do i really need to add the grains as im using the bacteria's/ yeasts in primary or will this help give a more complex flavour i plan to rack 10 litres of this brew every 6 months then top it up with another can of wheat extract untill 2 years time then blend any suggestions been doing research on burgandy babble belt but hoping u guys could help out prob gonna brew 2moz using sterling to around 10 ibu's

thanks guyys

Short answer - no.

Long answer - I can see why someone might add them for colour in an extract batch. Normally you'd carry out a 4 hour boil which will increase the colour quite significantly, as the base beer is normally wit-like pale at first. After four hours boiling the colour goes more to a golden rather than light yellow colour. Adding the grains might emulate this colour and add a little melanoidiny complexity.

Personally I'd be more inclined to do a mini-mash with some unmalted wheat if I were doing an extract based lambic, rather than adding caramel grains.

i am not a lambic expert but i believe lambics work better when they are all grain cause the lacto and other bacteria like the starches from raw wheat etc. wheat malt extract will present a totally different wort to your classic lambic wort even though it has wheat in it - raw wheat and turbid mashing is designed to optimise the nutrients for the beasts. i dunno what compromise would be best - perhaps just throwing in a bit of boiled up flour with your can for pure starch.

adding in a pinch of this grain or that grain for flavour will achieve bugger all in the face of the tsunami of stinky sour flavour that will run over the top of it. your plain old wheat extract can will probably end up ok on its own but won't be the same as a traditional lambic.

i am not a lambic expert but i believe lambics work better when they are all grain cause the lacto and other bacteria like the starches from raw wheat etc. wheat malt extract will present a totally different wort to your classic lambic wort even though it has wheat in it - raw wheat and turbid mashing is designed to optimise the nutrients for the beasts. i dunno what compromise would be best - perhaps just throwing in a bit of boiled up flour with your can for pure starch.

adding in a pinch of this grain or that grain for flavour will achieve bugger all in the face of the tsunami of stinky sour flavour that will run over the top of it. your plain old wheat extract can will probably end up ok on its own but won't be the same as a traditional lambic.

interesting i've never heard of putting flour in how much and what does it do???

im not gonna all grain only done one partial but maybe if i add the crystal grains i can give the beaties there starch or whatever not expecting any flavour from them as i only want pure cantillon sourness haha

interesting i've never heard of putting flour in how much and what does it do???

im not gonna all grain only done one partial but maybe if i add the crystal grains i can give the beaties there starch or whatever not expecting any flavour from them as i only want pure cantillon sourness haha

well that might actually work - the dextrins in the crystal malt would be eaten up by the beasts... you want a wort that has some non-fermentables for the bacteria to feed on. the flour is just an idea for a bit of bacteria-food.

looks like youve been reading around a bit but try this one
http://brewery.org/library/LmbicJL0696.html
and this one
http://bergsman.org/jeremy/lambic/making.html

Latest posts

Back