Lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Mick_

Reaction score
So I've got a delicious Oktoberfest that just hit terminal gravity and I want to free up my fermenting fridge to get another brew down.
My question is can I lager my beer after it has been bottled or should I do it before bottling?

Mick,

you can lager in bottles - it just takes longer. For some reason, someone on this forum may explain to us, beer seems to condition faster in bulk, i.e., in the fermenter. I also think the CO2 pressure you have in a bottle slows down the lagering process. Just give it time, at the right temps (drop to lagering temp slowly, eg 1/2 a degree a day) and it'll work.

Cheers - Snow.

Here's a link you might be interested in. It doesn't say anything about the need to lower the temp slowly, either. Most modern brewers don't bother with the slow drop because they let the yeast do everything it needs to before lagering. It's not like the old days when they needed the yeast to stay active because they started dropping the temp before the final gravity had been reached (more good info here).

Main issue with lagering in the bottle is that the crud that drops out stays rather than being left behind.

Is there any issues with cold crashing then lagering in keg??

manticle said:
Main issue with lagering in the bottle is that the crud that drops out stays rather than being left behind.

I'm no expert but as I've just bottled my first all grain Lager my experience was that I left mine for two weeks after it reached final gravity, which took three weeks to achieve, I did a diacetyl rest as I could pick up a slight buttery aroma and after the rest it wasn't noticible. Two weeks later the flavour seemed more refined and it's much clearer than it was when it reached FG, I'm sure glad I didn't rush into bottling it.

Cool thanks for the advice,
Looks like there is an all citra pale ale on the cards for the long weekend now that I'll have the fridge space.

Cheers!
Mick.

Latest posts

Back