Lager Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my hands on some DCL W34/70 Lager yeast for my Bavarian Lager recipe.

Anybody used this one? Is it comparable to the S-23 or S-189 Saflager yeast strains?

Do you have a favourite Munich/Bavarian Lager yeast that you can recommend? :huh:

Cheers,

Rowan :chug:

I have used the wyeast barvarian lager yeast,
not sure of there product number.

so far I'm very happy with the results.

and with liquid yeasts you can easly reuse them to help reduce the inital cost.

cheers
Moray

My favourite Bavarian Lager yeast is the White Labs Old Bavarian Lager Yeast WLP920.
It always finishes nice and malty.
I actually have a Bav Lager using this yeast coming off gas tomorrow morning. Tasted great going into the keg.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Moray,

Yeah, I too was thinking about the Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast, but after I had started this topic! :)

Anybody else used 2206 or 34/70?

Cheers,

Rowan

Doc said:
My favourite Bavarian Lager yeast is the White Labs Old Bavarian Lager Yeast WLP920.
It always finishes nice and malty.
I actually have a Bav Lager using this yeast coming off gas tomorrow morning. Tasted great going into the keg.

Beers,
Doc
Stop it Doc!

I'm salivating all over the keyboard! :p

Sounds great! Have you tried the WLP820 Octoberfest / Marzen Lager yeast strain? I've got nearly 3300g of malt to brew down so I will need a yeast with a fair bit of grunt that doesn't over flocculate so I end up with a stopped primary after the first few days...

Cheers,

Rowan

use the bavarian larger it is great as i have had great results with it my bock is good with and my pils is great i have heard the dcl 40/70 or what ever it is is better than the s 23 and a lot of brewers are happy with the yeast strain but me i prefer liquid yeasts

I've got the WLP820 in a slant sent to me by another brewer.
Will be making a starter from it soonish and giving it a go.
I hear good reports about it too.

Beers,
Doc

I have heard nuttin but good reports re the 34/70 dried lager yeast.

I have a kit+Pack lager about to be bottled, will let you know what I think of it

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the updates Guys,

Popped into Brew Your Own At Home here in Canberra this morning and picked up some 34/70 along with some Hallertau Plugs and half a kilo of Crystal Malt.

Will boil and splash the lot into the Coopers Bav Lager kit soon. :D

Cheers,

Rowan :chug:

I would use carapils instead of crystal in the baviaran larger

I used the WLP820 Marzen/Oktoberfest in my 15L Fresh Wort Bock. Man It was nice. Really brings out the nutty, malty flavours. I definitely recommend it. I can't wait to see how it goes with a lighter Munich-style Oktoberfest.

Jazman said:
I would use carapils instead of crystal in the baviaran larger
Jazman,
I know that this thread is a bit off topic, but, you've got me thinking! <_<

What's the go with Carapils? I'm only gonna steep a small amount of Crystal to improve the mouthfeel of the brew - what would using Carapils do?

I already have a 1.7Kg kit and 1Kg of Pale LME - the crystal is more for the general composition of the brew, as opposed to being a major fermentable.

Happy to hear more on Carapils since I've never used it before... :huh:

Cheers...

just incase you need an answer before jazman gets on here.

carapils is a crystal malt.its the very lightest one you can get.from now on i'd make sure you get the ebc for your crystal malt from your home brew store.since there are so many different ones.

carapils will add foam stabilty and body etc.it won't do much for colour.cara munich you could also use which is also light crystal but a bit darker.the germans don't really use that much crystal in their lagers.if they do its cara pils.ie lowenbrau etc.anyway if you can't get carapils get cara munich.

do you know the ebc of your crystal? carapils is something like 3-4 ebc no darker than a lot of base malt.its just not as fermentable.and its the traditional malt for these beers.

jayse, I used carapils in my last lager (still brewing and come caraamber for a bit of colour - and i wanted to try it out :) i bought it and hadn't used any)

Does the carapils need to be mashed? or can still be steeped. I gather it does not ferment much and hence the proten adds to the head? Also whats a avg amount to add to a lager

200g? 50g? i wouldn't have a clue i only used 50g to be safe and 40g caramber

Regards
Ben

i chucked the carapils in my mash i only use about 250 grms but i think u can steep them too

carapils is steepable.although in the u.s a company called briess makes a carapils which they state should be mash.although even that appartly doesn't really need to be.their is quite a debate over this on the u.s forums.it's because the short kilning time that briess say the full conversion may or may not have taken place inside the kernal..so they say mash just to cover themselves.
anyway the carapils you get will most likely be weyermann.which is the original.were the name carapils comes from.this doesn't need mashing.

use around 200-250g.

cheers jayse.

jayse said:
<snip>
do you know the ebc of your crystal? carapils is something like 3-4 ebc no darker than a lot of base malt.its just not as fermentable.and its the traditional malt for these beers.
Hi Jayse,
Thanks for the info on Carapils...

GMK suggested that I try some Crystal Malt, so I went to our local shop here in Canberra and picked up half a kilo of "Barrett Burston" Crystal Malt - 140 EBC...($2.90 if you're interested in prices... B) )

Anyway, I'm just gonna chuck 50 to 100g of it in the wort to see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips on Carapils - gee, I guess I'll have to make another Bav Lager to try it out!! :D

Back