Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleplugga

Reaction score
Saw this on The Australian website today. Thought it might be of interest to those into their yeast.

LINK

Wow. That's cool.

The amount of bad health stuff we got from the Americas keeps on keepin' on.

Tobacco, chips, tomato sauce, and now ... lager!

If they can prove that the Lebanese sourced the Doner Kebab recipe from the Mayans - we'll have a perfect drunken symmetry. I'm pretty sure the Americans also invented violence.

It's amazing that in a few short years, sequencing an organism's entire genome only rates as a byline in a news article. Ah progress.

That's pretty cool, both the yeast stuff and the jugs.
But while I know my history is a little rusty, the Germans were predominately brewing with Lager yeast in the fifteenth century (probably meaning it got there 100 years earlier), so how the heck does a yeast get from Patagonia to the cold dark caves of Germany that long ago?

But while I know my history is a little rusty, the Germans were predominately brewing with Lager yeast in the fifteenth century (probably meaning it got there 100 years earlier), so how the heck does a yeast get from Patagonia to the cold dark caves of Germany that long ago?

I think trade on the Atlantic had started by the 15th century?

Researchers believe the forest yeast made its way to Bavaria's brewing caves as a stowaway when trade first began across the Atlantic Ocean, perhaps in a piece of wood or in the belly of a fruit fly.

So the real question is, how long until Wyeast packages it up and sells it?

There has been some very interesting research coming out of the gene sequencing of yeast. Particularly in relation to the work done on the geographic locations of various strains of English Ale yeasts, you can track the movement of people and beer styles by the progress of the various yeasts they took with them. It looks like there are really about 5 major strains of Ale Yeast (squillions of sub strains) and that these are primarily associated with major beer styles and beer producing regions.

What the article is talking about is of the genome of one of the two families of lager yeast (there are two, one has two full gene compliments and the other 1and sets, this one is/was called the Heineken type) Lager yeast, Lager yeast is a natural fusion of good old Ale yeast and some other until now unidentified yeast. The Patagonian Beach Yeast will I doubt ever be offered as an isolate, but it will be finding a home in many research labs.

As our understanding of yeast improves we get far more control over how yeast behaves, hopefully better understanding leads to better beer.
MHB

I know. What would they hold, like, 1.5L each. AND she is holding 12 of them.
What a woman.

Drew
Actually it's only 1L, and take off some for foam, so suddenly it isn't so impressive after all ;) :)

I joke of course. Those steins are bloody heavy in themselves.
I remember when I went to Octoberfest one of the guidebooks actually warned you against trying to hit on the waitresses explaining that they were quite strong in the arms from carrying 10+ steins at a time all day :)

It's amazing that in a few short years, sequencing an organism's entire genome only rates as a byline in a news article. Ah progress.

Quite. It's only a couple of years ago that sequencing an organism was a sure way to land a Nature paper. Sadly, not so any more.

On the other hand, it's now just about within my reach to fully sequence my favourite yeast strains and do a differential analysis to try and isolate the crucial genes/regulatory regions. :)

T.

Latest posts

Back