Lager Yeast Above 16 Degrees

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas2411

Reaction score
By accident, I pitched the Coopers lager yeast into an a wort of Pale Ale kit, 1kg lme and .5 of dex on Wednesday night.

I can keep this at about 16 degrees but it will inevitably rise up to about 24 as I don't have a spare fridge at this stage. The fermenter is sitting in a tub with water and frozen bottles.

It's formed a nice foam and the Krausen ring has appeared after three days and is giving off the sulphur smell typical of a lager yeast, the sg has also dropped.

What do you guys think, is this worth keeping? If so, how will it turn out?

I have the ale yeast in the fridge, is it worth chucking that in or is it too late?

Really pissed off with myself about this.

Where did the coopers lager yeast come from.. Coopers bottle yeast is a ale and the coopers lager goo tin is also a ale yeast..

I think the euro lager can has a mixed yeast..

Bit more info

Cheers.

Where did the coopers lager yeast come from.. Coopers bottle yeast is a ale and the coopers lager goo tin is also a ale yeast..

I think the euro lager can has a mixed yeast..

Bit more info

Cheers.

Sorry mate, should have clarified: It's the European Lager which I believe is a true lager yeast. I bought the euro and pale tin at the same time and tossed the yeasts in the fridge rather haphazardly as I didn't note which was which then assumed the 'p' after the serial would be for the Pale and the 'int' notifying the lager.

If it's a true lager yeast ,and you're running it at 16c .you're going to get a few ale characteristics,esters,etc ,but not anything to worry about IMO.It mightn;t be a "crisp,clean" lager,but will more than likely be a good beer .All alse being equal.Depending on the strain,it could be a great beer :icon_cheers: Just accept that those temps ,whatever the yeast strain ,you're making an ale,not a lager ;)

Well if you can keep the temp down under 20 deg you should be right to some degree.

If it's a true lager yeast ,and you're running it at 16c .you're going to get a few ale characteristics,esters,etc ,but not anything to worry about IMO.It mightn;t be a "crisp,clean" lager,but will more than likely be a good beer .All alse being equal.Depending on the strain,it could be a great beer :icon_cheers: Just accept that those temps ,whatever the yeast strain ,you're making an ale,not a lager ;)

If that is what happens then I will be stoked. That was the initial plan anyway! Something similar to a Sparkling Ale with a bit more sweetness. :p

Is the yeast likely to produce 'off' flavours for an ale?

Also, will this 'ale' need the same amount of bottle conditioning as a lager?

Rover, you say "to some degree" why's that?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have used Saf Lager 34/70 at 16 a few times and it has cleaned up the mess of ale strains, provided some conditioning time. Might not be as clean as ferment at 12C, but still cleanish.

You will be using a lager yeast strain, which is a more aggressive strain (and thus why it performs at lower temps) at the very low end of ale temps. I will bet my hat (not worth jack) that it will attenuate more, and with some time end up cleaner than if you had pitched US05 at the same temp.

Jeez, I should listen to my own advice and swap all my US05 for 34/70.

If that is what happens then I will be stoked. That was the initial plan anyway! Something similar to a Sparkling Ale with a bit more sweetness. :p

Is the yeast likely to produce 'off' flavours for an ale?

Also, will this 'ale' need the same amount of bottle conditioning as a lager?

Rover, you say "to some degree" why's that?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have used Saf Lager 34/70 at 16 a few times and it has cleaned up the mess of ale strains, provided some conditioning time. Might not be as clean as ferment at 12C, but still cleanish.

You will be using a lager yeast strain, which is a more aggressive strain (and thus why it performs at lower temps) at the very low end of ale temps. I will bet my hat (not worth jack) that it will attenuate more, and with some time end up cleaner than if you had pitched US05 at the same temp.

Jeez, I should listen to my own advice and swap all my US05 for 34/70.
Again,the degree of 'ale-ish' flavours is going to be yeast strain/fermentation temp determinate.I personally wouldn't go over 20,probably as low as you can keep it would be the best idea,See what flavours you get,and note it for future ref. I think Bizier is prob. correct.Don't worry,relax,keep it cool! :beer:

For the record, I definitely meant sub 20C temperatures. I have never used lager yeast any higher than about 17C.

Thanks a bunch for all the advice guys, really put my mind at ease.

I'm bottling my first brew today so all the ice bottles will be free to keep this one between 15-18 degrees throughout the brew.

I'll be sure to let you all know how it turns out.
:beer:

For the record, I definitely meant sub 20C temperatures. I have never used lager yeast any higher than about 17C.
+1 absolutely :D It won't be a coopers clone ,but i can't imagine that it'll be a "bad " beer .A Steam Beer clone maybe? :beer:

I have managed to keep the temps right down between 11-14 degrees. Took sg reading today and had a sip. Through the lingering (and subsiding) sulphur aroma it tastes like it's going to be a tasty brew which will get better over time. Really interested to see how it turns out.

I have managed to keep the temps right down between 11-14 degrees. Took sg reading today and had a sip. Through the lingering (and subsiding) sulphur aroma it tastes like it's going to be a tasty brew which will get better over time. Really interested to see how it turns out.
Top stuff! The sulphur should dissipate after fermentation.It's normal with a lager yeast,and at the temps you're running it shouldn't be an issue at all :D Keep good notes on your brew,or future reference,It might be one of the best beers you ever brew,sad if you can't brew it again.. :p

Mate, if you have sulphur in your beer, that is a great indicator that you are keeping it in the correct zone for temps.

Back