Lager Q

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian44

Reaction score
Hey peoples. Im just doing my 1st AG Lager, and have a few Questions...

1. After fermentation is complete can i store the wort in cubes for a couple of weeks before i CC it?

2. Im going to have a WY 2042 (Danish lager) yeast cake soon. And im after a recipe to dump onto it?

3. Could i dry hop the below recipe with Saaz?

4.41 kg Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 95.59 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.41 %
32.54 gm Pearle [5.80 %] (90 min) Hops 28.2 IBU
3.39 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
16.95 gm Tettnang [3.90 %] (20 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
13.56 gm Tettnang [3.90 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
2.37 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.2 IBU

TYVM Damian

1. Only if you can 100% get it into the cube with no infection or oxygen. A mission.
2. Another Dortmunder? A bock?
3. Why not?

1) you can get around the oxygen problem if you rack it into the cube just before fermentation completely bottoms out. you would just need to release the pressure if it built up, or eve better, attach a small airlock to the lid.

2) yes?

3) you definetly could but go easy with it to avoid the potential grassy flavours you can get with saaz dry hops.

hope this helps

Thanks guys. All good news. Ive got a spare lid i could drill a hole in.
Maybe i could boil 20g of Saaz for 2 min in 500ml of water and add the juices?
As for my next brew, if i went a 4 to 1 ratio of Pils malt and Caramunich 1 what hops would work well with Saaz?

TYVM Damian44

I sometimes use a cube for secondary fermentation and cold conditioning but keep it at a low temperature. I take it you are intending to leave it at ambient temperature for a couple of weeks. Are you going to be away? If this is the case then if you whack it into a cube right at the end of primary, with a small headspace and add a small amount of primer, say 20g of dex, and let the beer turn that into CO2 to flush the headspace then really what you have is a giant bottle. I would just crack the lid a few times over a few days to bleed off the CO2 then put the cube in the coolest most even temperature you can, say the ensuite shower etc. On your return, chill and lager as normal.

I don't know what effect this would have on the final quality of the beer but If it's not going to get actually hot, say over 22 degrees, then I can't see the harm.

Thanks BribieG. Im not going away. I just want to use the fridge to ferment my next batch in and than CC it all together.

TYVM Damian44

Just a few more questions...

1. Will it be too cold during July (in Sydney) to brew Lagers, my fermenting fridge is in the garage out back?

2. Does the 20mm Silicone hose fit on a 1/2 inch BSP hosetail?

TYVM Damian

Q1 Yes Bung it in a cube with an airlock and add a tablespoon of sugar :ph34r: .........yeh I know we don't use sugar in good lagers but its not enough to effect the beer and as it ferments out it will add a blanket of Co2 over the beer to keep the oxygen out

Cheers

Back