Lager Fermentation Temperatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temperature (C)

• <4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 1 100.0%

• 12-14

• 15+

• Total voters

mfdes

Reaction score
It's interesting to note that manufacturer's recommendations for lager yeasts (Wyeast, White Labs, etc...) are a few degrees above those employed traditionally or by commercial brewers. For example traditional Bohemian pilsner is pitched at 4C and fermented under 8C, perhaps allowing the temperature to rise to 11C or so by the end of the fermentation.
However recommended temperatures for these yeasts by the manufacturers are often closer to 10 or 11C. Is this because the yeast performs better in terms of fermentation vigour, lag phase time, etc... at the higher temperature, even though the ideal in terms of flavour would be the lower temperature?

What temperature do you use to ferment your lagers and pilsners?

MFS.

I voted for 11C, that being said last night it got soooo cold here in Sydney that when I looked at the temp of my fermenting freezer it was a chilly 3C! Hoping it has not stuffed anything up, I only pitched the yeast last night. ;)

DK

Ive got a lager fermenting in my garage on a cement floor. It sits around 11-12 degrees during the day and go down to around 7-8 degrees at night. I love lagers and the temperature in my garage is perfect but damn they take there sweet time to ferment.....for the end product, its worth the wait :beer:

A temperature variation of ~5C is not ideal, and really you ought to be aiming for consistently the higher end of that 7-12 range.

Once you drop below about 10C the yeast really slows down and there is little to be gained by going much lower except longer fermentation time. Noonan suggested a primary lager fermentation should be complete after 5-6 days (assuming correct pitching rate) and from my limited experience that seems to be about right. I would consider that fermentation above 15 is not really true lager fermentation at all.

I had my lager set at 11 degrees. With the fridge controller it probably ranged between 10 - 12 for the brew.

Guys,
A quick question (sort of).

I pitched a healthy 2L starter of WLP800 on Monday night into my German Pilsner. The temp at the time of pitching was 11C. And it went straight into the fermenting freezer controlled by the Mashmaster unit which is set to 10C.

Now since then it has been bloody freezing at night and I reckon it has probably gotten down to 3C. This means my beer is enjoying 10-12C during the day but getting down to 3C overnight.
I noticed this morning that there was no pressure on the airlock.

I was thinking of hanging a bulb in there to heat things up at night and let the temp control unit do its thing if it gets over the 12C threshold. What are other people doing?

Will this Pilsner just take a long time to ferment at these temps or is it totally stuffed?

Beers
DK
:beer:

DK

I seriously doubt your fermenting fridge/freezer would drop to ambient outside temps. Bear in mind it's basically an insulated box. Should really stay around 8-10 degrees despite the temperature drops outside.

Good idea is to try and avoid opening the door excessively.

Your lager should still be fine.

Warren -

DK,

I hear you brother, i pitched S189 on Saturday at 10c and it has been dropping down to 6-7c overnight, mind you it has been -1c in the morning.

I have since ran a light bulb into my fridge and put it under a terracotta pot, set my fridgemate up to 10c and it has been good since.

Rook

DK

I seriously doubt your fermenting fridge/freezer would drop to ambient outside temps. Bear in mind it's basically an insulated box. Should really stay around 8-10 degrees despite the temperature drops outside.

Good idea is to try and avoid opening the door excessively.

Your lager should still be fine.

Warren -

Hi Warren, yeah I thought the same thing, however I looked at the readout on the unit this morning and is said 3!!. The probe is taped to the side of the fermenter. :huh:

I will leave it alone for a few days and see what happens.

Cheers
DK

I voted 9.
I use mainly WLP830 or similar liquid yeast.

No fridgemate yet, so fridge temps seem to get close to 6-7 degrees and the fermenter hover between 8-10 depending on if l left the door ajar or not.

Electricity bill AAAAARGH

Latest posts

Back