"lager" At Ale Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceL

Reaction score
Ive only even brewed ales but would like to try brewing a lager or "lager style" beer.

I do not as yet have a brewing fridge, but can keep brewing temps in the low 20's (mostly 20-21) without to many problems. I would simply be racking into a secondary without any cold conditioning.

What is the best yeast option for brewing a lager style beer at these temps?

Is it best to use a clean ale yeast (e.g. safale 56), or a lager yeast (e.g. saflager W34/70)? Which would produce the cleaner most lager like beer at 20c.

I am considering trying liquid yeasts any suggestions as as to suitable types would be appreciated.

Bruce

I have used Saflager S-23 at around 19 degrees before and it produced quite good lager characteristics. In fact I was quite surprised how good the results were. It had none of the off flavours that people have suggested occur at these temps.

The other alternative is San Francisco Lager yeast (White labs and Wyeast do one). I haven't tried this one before, but apparently it does a good job at ale temps.

Bruce you could try Wyeast 2112 Californian Lager Yeast. This is a lager yeast that will go to the top most range for a lager - about 17 degrees. Hope that helps.
Cheers
Steve

Cal lager yeast

"2112 California Lager Yeast. Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65 F, (18 C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (58-68 F, 14-20 C)"

This time of year I put a few cal common beers down as in Melb it can be 11 overnight and 20 during the day !!!

This yeast strain is good for this and if it's gets a bit warm try the old trick of ice blocks and ferm in a bath/ sink to keep the temp down.
Other than that just wait untill the start of the "snow season" what is the start of the lager season over here.

Hope this helps

Luke

San fran lager yeast is good and I got a very clean lager like beer from using
WLP060 US Blend at ale temp 18C.

Or a WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast which can also be brewed around 18C if you're able to get your temps down an extra couple of degrees.

edit: mikem108 got in just before me :p

Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) is very clean and neutral at about 18 degrees. Could be argued that it gives an almost lager-like finish. :)

Warren -

IMO, I'd skip the quest at the moment for a lager beer until the temperature drops a few more degrees before using something like WLP810 which can ferment a little more warm than traditional lager yeasts.

A good alternative during this period which will give you a lager like ale are beers like Kolsch. Yeast manufacturers recommend Kolsch yeast ferment around the 17C mark, but I have fermented at 20C with good results. This would be a good bridging style of beer whilst waiting for winter to arrive with a good lager like mouthfeel.

Cheers.

Duff said:
IMO, I'd skip the quest at the moment for a lager beer until the temperature drops a few more degrees before using something like WLP810 which can ferment a little more warm than traditional lager yeasts.

A good alternative during this period which will give you a lager like ale are beers like Kolsch. Yeast manufacturers recommend Kolsch yeast ferment around the 17C mark, but I have fermented at 20C with good results. This would be a good bridging style of beer whilst waiting for winter to arrive with a good lager like mouthfeel.

Cheers.
[post="122886"][/post]​

Sorry if this sounds a little ignorant, but last winter i fermented a lager wort with s 23 a typical winter temps - prbably 15c or so as an average, and wht came out is what I could best describe as a kolsch - quite fruity finish, but without the aftertaste - fruit but crisp - which sorta dosnt make sense but anyway. 23 for esters, 34/70 for cleaner profile.

The liquid yeast companies, both Wyeast and WhiteLabs, both recommend a true lager yeast, even if you have to ferment out of the optimum temp range.

The result will be slightly fruitier, yet still lager-like, so they say.

Seth :p

warrenlw63 said:
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) is very clean and neutral at about 18 degrees. Could be argued that it gives an almost lager-like finish. :)

Warren -
[post="122885"][/post]​

I'm with you Warren - planning on doing my next Schwarzbier with Safale US-56 at 15c. This yeast gives superb attenuation & a really clean finish... My current summer ale with this yeast is very lager like....

cheers Ross

Ross

How long does a brew using safale 56 take to ferment at 15c.

Bruce

Ross said:
warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="122885"][/post]​

I'm with you Warren - planning on doing my next Schwarzbier with Safale US-56 at 15c. This yeast gives superb attenuation & a really clean finish... My current summer ale with this yeast is very lager like....

cheers Ross
[post="122906"][/post]​

Yep :) agree with you two, BUT have found Danstar Nottingham better at 15c-16c, done 2 double batches now and used US 56 in one and Nottingham in the other and [to my taste :blink: ] found the Nottingham to be more Lager like, anyone else?

BruceL said:
Ross

Bruce
[post="122912"][/post]​

Not tried at 15c - but at 17c takes all of 5 days...

cheers Ross

BruceL said:
Ross

Bruce
[post="122912"][/post]​

5/7 days tops ,It really is the best all round ale yeast that i have found.

Like Ross I'm a big fan of this dried yeast.It's what I've been looking for,for years
clean, consistent and neutral.

Has anyone tried saflager 34/70 (or its similar liquids WY2124/WLP830) at ale temps?

Wyeast states about 2124 "Also used for pseudo ale production with fermentations at 75 F, (24 C) which eliminates sulfur production."

Bruce

bindi said:
Yep :) agree with you two, BUT have found Danstar Nottingham better at 15c-16c, done 2 double batches now and used US 56 in one and Nottingham in the other and [to my taste :blink: ] found the Nottingham to be more Lager like, anyone else?
[post="122915"][/post]​

Wouldn't be surprised - i've heard that the US-56 is pretty much a mutation of Nottingham thanks to Sierra Nevada.

great timing
a friend of mine has named my new beer: "I can't believe it's not lager!"
It's pilsner malt, saaz, hersbrucker, but using us56 at about 18-19C (no room for fermenters in the fridge either)
Bloody nice drop. When the weather gets cooler I'll change over to lager yeasts.
it IS a bit fruitier and not as crisp maybe, but give it a good hop bite to go along with it.

Tangent,
Ive been mashing @ 65c and fermenting @ 17/18 c and its just brill.Not quite a lager(slightly more rounded in the finish)but clean as a whistle.
S04 in an AG seems to be a little more dry,but in a tart fruity kind of way.

try a wet mash at 63C BL, with the dry style us56 its a good combo

Back