Lager Advice - Doing It Properly, Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate

Might just do that then, will need a cube sooner or later.

How much are they at bunnings? Was going to go to k mart but if its cheaper ill grab from bunnings.

Anyone know about the hop choice?

Cheers mate

Might just do that then, will need a cube sooner or later.

How much are they at bunnings? Was going to go to k mart but if its cheaper ill grab from bunnings.

Cube was on special for $12, 25ltr was $18. I've bought a 30ltr one previously which I use as an additional fermenter.

Saaz and Tettnang are quite similar. Hallertau is a bit different (more herbal/grassy than spicy/earthy).

I'd suggest using one hop only in a few different batches (they'll all be nice, just different) so then you'll know which one(s) you like best.

Cheers Nick and Mut.

Will probably go the Saaz for this one :D

Went all Saaz in the end. Upped the ibu to 35 and hit my OG dead on.

After all the extra steps for extract I will be going stovetop biab soon as it doesn't seem like it will take any longer !

One question for you guys experienced in lagers. I am considering doing a d rest and then crash chilling in the primary for a few days ( to clear yeast a bit ). Then racking to a keg for ease and 1 less step. Then keeping the keg at -1 for 2 weeks or so before letting temptation take over. Would this work well or would I be better with the extra step ? Will it be worth it basically.

Or should I just lager in the primary ?

Or should I just lager in the primary ?

I wouldn't, but that's just my preference. A lot will advocate that it doesn't matter, but I prefer to get it off the trub to be honest.

Cheers,
Mut

My main worry is oxidation and infection, oxidation mostly. Wont putting it in a secondary after its finished mean there is no CO2 to protect from oxidation?

My main worry is oxidation and infection, oxidation mostly. Wont putting it in a secondary after its finished mean there is no CO2 to protect from oxidation?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that oxidation only really occurs at higher temperatures. Do you mean oxygenating?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction that may be accelerated by higher temps but doesn't need them to occur. Many different examples: Rusting is a common oxidation reaction as is the browning of an apple, potato or pear when cut.

Oxidation is a chemical reaction that may be accelerated by higher temps but doesn't need them to occur. Many different examples: Rusting is a common oxidation reaction as is the browning of an apple, potato or pear when cut.

So are the concerns expressed above warranted then? I've always transferred to secondary after cold conditioning in primary for a period first - in order to allow more sediment to settle and be left behind. There would be no co2 production at all after the transfer as the yeast is not active at 0c. I've not noticed cardboard qualities in any beers I've made or been involved with making.

I believe from my experience and reading that oxidation from racking is a risk - just that, not a certainty. I rack every beer to bulk prime and used to rack every beer to secondary. Cardboard was not a regular flavour I encountered. Be aware though that cardboard is only one symptom of beer staling.

Oxidation and staling in beer is inevitable - it's just the rate at which it occurs can be accelerated or encouraged by various practices. Storing beer warm for lengthy periods is as much an issue as agitation and if you rack gently, you should be no more likely to get cardboard than most.

Some oxidation/staling products even have desirable characteristics in the right beer given enough time.

Anyway oxygenation and oxidation are different things.

Ended up just cold crashing in primary for 5 days then racking to a keg.

Still pretty cloudy, anyone know how long it generally takes with S-189 to clear? I realise it depends on alot of things but just curious on timeframe.

Other than cloudiness its an amazing beer! extremely crisp just slightly bready at the moment. I would drink it but don't want to finish it as it becomes really good.

Tried this again today. In your guys experience how long do lagers take to clear without the use of finings or anything, just cold crashed?

Still slightly cloudy which is stopping me from drinking it too early (probably a good thing) but this lager is really good!

Probably the crispest lager ive had ever.. and real nice white head on it. Probably lacking on the hop front compared with a pilsner urquell or something like that but wow, incredibly crisp and neutral.

Latest posts

Back