Lactic Or Phosphoric Acid In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kroozy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get food grade lactic or phosphoric acid in Perth from? Any of the HBS stock it?

Can't say I have seen it in a brewshop Kroozy. I got a small bottle of phos from a WCB meet a year or so ago. One of the members made up some smaller bottles from a lab or something.

Not much help sorry.

If you can find a few others,go to an AG supplier and buy 20lt of "Eliminate" that's Phos. acid,dilute at 2mm per 1lt.
Will cost around $200.00

Batz

you can get it at bunnings for 6 or 7 bucks for enough to last a decade or so... it's called ph down, used for hydroponics..

the acid is strong enough that it has burned a hole in my kitchen's postform... I don't think any form of life will survive a dunking in the stuff... a drop or 2 per litre will drop ph down a long way (like ph 8 to 6).. from my estimations... there may be other considerations regarding suitability for food use, but others have used the stuff for beer, if that's any comfort...

cheers, Organo

Does anyone know where to get food grade lactic or phosphoric acid in Perth from? Any of the HBS stock it?
I got some phosphoric from Roy at TWOC a while back

AFAIK Roy hasn't sold orthophos since he stopped stocking Grumpys One Shot.

I bought a couple of litres of One Shot by mail from Grumpys and that one purchase does not look like running out for a very long time.

If you're really keen you could check out Quantum Chemicals and other Chemical Supply places.
I don't know in what volumes they deal themselves but they may be able to give you 'retail-volume' outlets as well if you're not keen to swim in phosphoric for the rest of your brewing days :excl:

Edit: No affiliation etc... plus an early morning tpyo or tow :)

Just keep in mind that some of Homebrew Orthophos products *may* have surfactants added to make them more effective sanitisers. Grumpy's oneshot definitely did. I think that the type of surfactant they use is a lot better than dishwashing detergent :) but if you're adding to the mash you *may* want to use straight ortho.

I got some in bulk from a local chemical wholesaler in adelaide (which will be incredibly useful for you guys in perth)

Edit: added detail

AFAIK Roy hasn't sold orthophos since he stopped stocking Grumpys One Shot.

I bought a couple of litres of One Shot by mail from Grumpys and that one purchase does not look like running out for a very long time.

I bought it after he had stopped selling 1 shot as I also bought a bottle of that nasty Prox stuff :ph34r: at the same time and it leaked a bit in the bag and started oxidising my fingers when I unpacked it at home (ouch that is nasty sh!t) which I didn't realise had happened until my fingers started turning white and i was running around swearing and looking for something to wash my hands with :eek:

Back