Lack Of Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nodrog

Reaction score
Have recently changed to glad wrap over the top of my fermentor, and at the same time got my fermentor into a temp controlled fridge (had to do one to get the other....)

Prior to that I just had the FV in the garage, with an airlock, probably 16 ambient, and sure the fv would get hotter during ferment. After 2 days would have a good 2in of foam on top with all sorts of chunky stuff going on in the foam.

Done 2 brews since, a k+b with muntons std yeast, and an extract with US05, with temp control set at 18 Deg C. Neither brew has had any sign of any foam on top, just sat looking quite clear, to the point i've been concerned whether its started at all. However the SG has dropped by 15-20pts over the 1st 3 days both times. Not tasted properly yet, but the hydro samples all seemed good.

Seems that its all going on, but is the lack of krausen activity a concern or sign of anything untoward?

When I switched to the cling-wrap I noticed a definate change in the krausen height. I didn't change my recipes a great deal or use a temp fridge and it went from a usual 4-5cm height off the wort to a consistent 1cm (max.) height once I began the cling-wrapping.
Didn't change my beers at all so I didn't bother enquiring further, I think it may be something to do with the pressure build up with the cling-wrap seal being a great deal less than a sealed lid + airlock setup, I guess I liken it to putting a well sealed lid on a boiling/bubbling pot and seeing the bubbles creep up the side and eventually boil over, whereas with the lid off the bubbling up will not usually reach the same height.
Don't wanna start a(nother) physics war on here though so I will leave it at an educated guess.
:icon_cheers:
OT- I really liked the first time I dry-hopped into the primary with the clear lid to get a look in over the time it took for the pellets to break down and turn the remaining krausen a nice green colour! :icon_drool2:

Back