Labourer's Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew these people who brewed the cheapest homebrand kits they could buy, 2kg of sugar, and put the fermenter outside, in the middle of summer. This was in the upper hunter, and it used to get above 40*c in summer...

They would bottle it and drink it 7 days latter..

The bubble where absolutly huge....... :eek:

And to say it tasted like apple cider is a bit of an understatement

it is possible to convert the unwashed heathen though, I've been leaving copies of BYO and Beer & Brewer in the crib hut at work, had one of my work-mates (a gay fitter) comment on his first LCPA, he loved it and is now looking forward to his first WRDA after reading a review :icon_cheers:

slightly related, having dinner at a local restaurant a few weeks back the Chef/Owner proudly told me that he now has LCPA in for me, 'it's the only aussie craftbeer made with real hops'...

I had a mate who use to work on the mines in Northern WA in the 70's and he was recalling that the standard practise out there was to brew up a big K&K batch with a truckload of sugar in a plastic bin with a teatowel over the top and just ladle it out after work warm........ :icon_vomit:

Did they atleast ferment it in the shade? Yeast would much better prefer 40 degrees C than 45! A bloke I worked with a few months back said when they were out bush for months straight, common practice was to hang bottles of beer in the only gum-tree in the camp, to cool them down.

I went to mow the lawns once when I was a teenager. As I was filling the mower with petrol the thought occured to me that it was possible to get wasted on petrol fumes.

Due to completely losing all track of time (and for a while, space) and having an out-of-body experience of floating up by the ceiling, I'm still not sure exactly how wasted I was. A lot, probably.

I used to make K&K beer too. Same sort of thing. :lol:

Most builders I contract for would have trouble organizing a root in a brothel.At trade school they are first in line,in front of the plumbers even,to get their ringholes stitched up tight.

:icon_offtopic:

What has this got to do with anything? I am a builder and I have mostly awesome tradesmen but I could list hundreds of stupid things that I see tradesmen do on a daily basis. Its very easy to look at someone else and point out what they are doing wrong... What trade are you?

You can't take these things too seriously. My profession has been bagged out here and I think it is bloody funny because I know colleauges that are just like the stories here. I like to think I am an exception. But hey 20 years ago I made a K&K with 2Kgs of sugar, but I knew then just like I know now it was Shiten Hausen! Still drank it, but that's what you do when your a teenager, well I did anyway.

A good friend of mine, who is now known as Bakers Delight, had a stalled ferment in winter. So he kicked things along with some bakers yeast he got at Woolies. He now denies the deed.

Fear.

Back