krausen won't subside

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willo69a

Reaction score
hey guys
I've done 3 biab brews now, 3.5kg pale malt, 200gms lt crystal and 60gms of fuggles was the first and I was very happy, now the last two were much the same but used MO instead if Pale. yeast was us 05 and one was Nott. the nott after 3 days did not start to ferment so I added another yeast and it got away but may not be any good after 3 days of no yeast activity.
My problem is the krausen wont subside on my last two brews. it forms a large crust like on top and there is heaps of yellow stuff hanging around in the fermenter that I've never seen before in all my K&K and extracts. the only way I can get this stuff to settle is ti bang the fv quite hard. any info would be greatly appreciated. I hope to sort the problem before my next brew
cheers willo

WP_001117.jpg

WP_001120.jpg

no I have found that I didn't have to due to everything dropping out in previous brews.

agree, cold crash the beer for 24hrs or more to get a good drop out. There will still be some small amounts on the surface after 24hrs @ 4c but if you left that for a few days it should be all at the base on the FV.

Latest posts

Back