Krausen Still Floating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_yobbo

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I've brewed a k&k Coopers English bitter which has been sitting at 20 degrees in the primary for 3 weeks and there is still a krausen on the surface.

This is the first time I've brewed using the gladwrap seal approach therefore can see clearly into the brew for the first time but in the past I'm sure the krausen disperses/settles once fermentation is complete.

Its also the first time I've used American Ale Yeast 1056 (from Craftbrewer) so perhaps its something new there.

The hydrometer has been steady for a few days at 1010, which matches Ian's spreadsheet calculations (nice job Ian) for the recipe. (Coopers English bitter can + 1kg Dex + 500g light DME)

So, is it unusual that there is still a Krausen on the surface of the wort?

not unusual at all. Mine usually stays around until I crash chill, and even then there's some there.

not unusual at all. Mine usually stays around until I crash chill, and even then there's some there.

Excellent, so it's probably something I did different/better this time in comparison to previous brews I'm thinking has possibly lead to healthier yeast activity and solid krausen that just won't go away. I know it was the first time I've: used that yeast strain; created a yeast starter; and agitated the brew vigourously after adding cold water to oxygenate the wort.

I will second Mark on that one. Just recently done a few brews using the Wyeast #1318, after fermentation the Krausen will literally hang around for weeks after the gravity has been stable. Only think that has gotten rid of it has been crash chilling.

Echoing what others have mentioned. Even after crash chilling for a couple weeks some of it still lingers.

Many of the true top cropping yeasts will leave you with a long lasting krausen. Wy1318 is a classic example.
Nothing to worry about. Just be sure you have a steady FG for a few days before bottling.
Cheers
Nige

This happens to me regularly. If it's really full on, I sometimes rack before crash chilling which removes it.

What's the consensus on skimming it off in early fermentation' anyone bother?
I haven't previously but notice it mentioned in a few brew books.

What's the consensus on skimming it off in early fermentation' anyone bother?
I haven't previously but notice it mentioned in a few brew books.

I've done this to harvest yeast - I wouldn't bother otherwise though...unnecessary risk of contamination...

wouldn't it be better to harvest the yeast from the yeast cake as opposed to the krausen?

wouldn't it be better to harvest the yeast from the yeast cake as opposed to the krausen?

From what I've read (books, wyeast website, advice from people on here) true top croppers should be harvested from krausen, everything else is best done from the yeast cake. Apparently there aren't too many true top croppers around anymore but certain wheat beer yeasts and british ale yeasts are top croppers and you get the healthiest yeast by top cropping these. Everything else should be harvested from the yeast cake.

Wyeast state which of their strains are top croppers - plus theirs a thread on here somewhere (earlier this year) that talks about it.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Krausen is the healthiest, most active yeast I've come across. Cake is often dead or at least tired.

Harvest your krausen.

Krausen is the healthiest, most active yeast I've come across. Cake is often dead or at least tired.

Harvest your krausen.

Hmmm, really?

Well, I might have to try this method, although i have always had good success with the yeast firing up quick using the yeast slurry.

I've inocculated another batch by merely scooping out some krausen from one and into a wort waiting for fermentation. It's so beautiful and clean and creamy, how could you not want to use it?

old thread I know - but I've had krausen not drop for 5 days now and have just given the primary a shake - it dropped it like a hotcake - will rack tomorrow...Hoping this is an Ok solution???

old thread I know - but I've had krausen not drop for 5 days now and have just given the primary a shake - it dropped it like a hotcake - will rack tomorrow...Hoping this is an Ok solution???

As in 5 days from when, 1 week? 2 weeks primary ferment? Quite normal for some brews to hang around 2 weeks or more.
All depends on the yeast and the recipe.

As in 5 days from when, 1 week? 2 weeks primary ferment? Quite normal for some brews to hang around 2 weeks or more.
All depends on the yeast and the recipe.

5 days in primary - usually drops in 3 - shook it up a bit and it dropped and got the yeast activated - lots of activity in the air lock - 24 hours should settle it for transfer to 2ndry??

- I'm on my 4th AG only and just feeling it out - newb personified

5 days in primary - usually drops in 3 - shook it up a bit and it dropped and got the yeast activated - lots of activity in the air lock - 24 hours should settle it for transfer to 2ndry??

- I'm on my 4th AG only and just feeling it out - newb personified

Which yeast Tony? I don't think I've ever had krausen drop in less than a week :huh:

Which yeast Tony? I don't think I've ever had krausen drop in less than a week :huh:

wyeast 1272 American II for an IPA

It has seriously dropped now. i guess my question is - is it OK to shake the beer at this stage to encourage the drop?? - Patience is not one of my stronger virtues - but it has always gone down in 3 days in the primary

is it OK to shake the beer at this stage to encourage the drop?? - Patience is not one of my stronger virtues - but it has always gone down in 3 days in the primary
[/quote]

Ive always thought that once fermentation has begun it was not a good thing to oxygenate in any way...so a gentle swirl may be useful, but I would not be shaking it!...but I wouldnt stress about it, Im sure your beer will still tast great!

Back