krausen hanging on?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a DSGA with rye ,been in the fv 14 days at 18 deg.,dropped from 1050 to 1010 soI reckon it's done ok
yeast was wy 1272
This has a thick krausen like tan foam still on top.
Beer is not quite clear but tastes beaut.
I will cc for a day or 2 and if its still there I'll just syphon it out from under the top.
Question is,"Is this normal for this yeast/recipe?and is it just krausen? yeast? or ???
Gunna drink it anyway,taste's good out of the hydro.

I use 1272 a lot and this has happened a few times, same with London Ale III, not sure what the cause is, the beer has always been fully attenuated and tasted good.

In my experience it usually drops after CC but a few times it has hung in there. I usually transfer to a secondary if it hangs around, but syphoning would be fine too I would think.

I've had US05 do the same and what is really odd I've got a coopers real ale fermenting away with US05 which has no krausen at all, strange little creatures these yeast are.

Cold crashing did the trick for me also.

I had a Dennys Fav IPA recently and the krausen didnt drop even after 7 odd days cold crashed (down to temp) @ 1 deg.

I kegged and bottled it and was all good.

Did a lot of searching at the time with not much success, so worth noting.

I have noticed that the dry yeast BRY97 can do this as well.
I just rack the beer as normal without problems.

Latest posts

Back