Koziosko Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viligar

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone had a extract recipe of a Kosciusko pale ale, had this the other day it was tops wanted to make my own!

was wondering if anyone had a extract recipe of a Kosciusko pale ale, had this the other day it was tops wanted to make my own!
Hey C2max,
I tried Kosciuzko pale ale at bucks party back in February and from memory it was quite good (but my memory wasn't to reliable by this stage, as I'd had a few before then).

Just yesterday I was thinking that it was worth giving another try, so I did a google search and came up with the following quotes from Dr Hahn (head brewer) and the brewery:
Our original Kosciuszko Pale is a 4.5% alcohol, slightly cloudy ale that challenges the limits of the traditional Australian Pale Ale. Crafted from a blend of Pale & Munich malts, and brewed using Tasmanian grown Galaxy hops our pale ale delivers a pleasant maltiness with a refreshing fruity hop finish.

The beer is a decidedly fruity rendition of an Australian pale ale style and uses two local hop varieties in Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood.
TASTING NOTES

KOSCIUSZKO PALE ALE (4.5%)

Rich golden, star bright. Aroma: tropical fruit and citrus zest, sweet malt. Palate: honey and melon notes initially, medium body and malt character, finishes with nice balance between fruit and bitter notes. Overall: delicately complex with good sessionability.

I've never done extracts and I'm a relative newbee to AG brewing, but I would probably start with something close to the following that you could convert to extract:
4kg Pale Ale Malt
300g Munich 1
300g Wheat Malt
maybe 300g crystal
bittering addition of Pride of Ringwood 15g @60mins
20g Galaxy @ around 10mins dry hop with 20g Galaxy after about 4-5days in the fermenter or after racking.

I've done one galaxy brew and it was fantastic, full of passionfruit and melon flavours :icon_drool2:

I hope this helps. Maybe some other more experienced brewers could offer some better advice.

Cheers
Simon

Thanks for the recipe, Simon. From a few websites it seems it's pretty close to the mark. Any idea what type of yeast to use?

I'd prob say us-05?

Thanks for recipie man. I'll loom at a similar rendition when I get home and post it up

Yes, I use US05 in all my APAs and it is a nce clean yeast, so it won't add any unwanted flavours and allows the hops to shine thru.

Was wondering if you could give feedback on the following recipie? Trying to put together a extract version of this.

Coopers Aus Pale Ale 1.7KG
Coopers Light Malt 1.5KG
100G Munich
100G Crystal
15g Galaxy @ 15
15g Pride of ringwood @10
15g Pride @ 5
15G Galaxy @ 0
US-05

First shot at acctually chucking a recipie together, so be nice =] any feedback would be fantastic!

Was wondering if you could give feedback on the following recipie? Trying to put together a extract version of this.

Coopers Aus Pale Ale 1.7KG
Coopers Light Malt 1.5KG
100G Munich
100G Crystal
15g Galaxy @ 15
15g Pride of ringwood @10
15g Pride @ 5
15G Galaxy @ 0
US-05

First shot at acctually chucking a recipie together, so be nice =] any feedback would be fantastic!

Looks the goods except I would lose the crystal, but thats just a personal thing...if you do use it stick with a light crystal.

Take out crystal add another 100g of munich or just dog it all together?

So then I found this thread!

I've found a Heritage Lager kit is a blander place to start although the pale ale kit will have a sort of Styrian aroma.
Or perhaps go the whole extract hog and boil up a second can of light malt with some POR.

+1 for Simons recipe
I ditched the crystal and upped the wheat and munich to 500g each.

I didn’t find Ringwood so used some English Target instead and then Australian Galaxy as a dry hop. And US-05 for the yeast.

Turned out pretty similar, haven’t tried them side by side but pretty close. Next time may add the crystal and find the proper Ringwood.

Hey C2max,
I tried Kosciuzko pale ale at bucks party back in February and from memory it was quite good (but my memory wasn't to reliable by this stage, as I'd had a few before then).

Just yesterday I was thinking that it was worth giving another try, so I did a google search and came up with the following quotes from Dr Hahn (head brewer) and the brewery:
Our original Kosciuszko Pale is a 4.5% alcohol, slightly cloudy ale that challenges the limits of the traditional Australian Pale Ale. Crafted from a blend of Pale & Munich malts, and brewed using Tasmanian grown Galaxy hops our pale ale delivers a pleasant maltiness with a refreshing fruity hop finish.

The beer is a decidedly fruity rendition of an Australian pale ale style and uses two local hop varieties in Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood.
TASTING NOTES

KOSCIUSZKO PALE ALE (4.5%)

Rich golden, star bright. Aroma: tropical fruit and citrus zest, sweet malt. Palate: honey and melon notes initially, medium body and malt character, finishes with nice balance between fruit and bitter notes. Overall: delicately complex with good sessionability.

I've never done extracts and I'm a relative newbee to AG brewing, but I would probably start with something close to the following that you could convert to extract:
4kg Pale Ale Malt
300g Munich 1
300g Wheat Malt
maybe 300g crystal
bittering addition of Pride of Ringwood 15g @60mins
20g Galaxy @ around 10mins dry hop with 20g Galaxy after about 4-5days in the fermenter or after racking.

I've done one galaxy brew and it was fantastic, full of passionfruit and melon flavours :icon_drool2:

I hope this helps. Maybe some other more experienced brewers could offer some better advice.

Cheers
Simon
Is that for a 20L batch?

I think recipes are normally for 23 litres.

I wouldn't use the POR late. POR is a bittering hop. You can use any hop for bittering. You could always try dry hopping with it though.

Latest posts

Back