Kopperfloc V Whirlfloc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoohaaman

Reaction score
Was cruising along making a house ale I have made many, many times.Kettle fining time rolled around,and I got lazy and couldn't be bothered measuring out Kopperfloc,decided just to drop in a whirlfloc tab.

Trub in kettle was consistent with Kopperfloc.End result was not.

I have always had a hard time with this particular beer with clear presentation.Even with polyclar,filtering and extended cold conditioning.It never presented crystal clear.

Well after using a whirlfloc tab and just a normal filter,I have a crystal clear beer.

Nothing else in my procedure changed,just the whirlfloc :)

That's a bit of a surprise, as they have exactly the same active ingredient.
Most likely you lucked onto exactly the right dose and that can make a big difference.

The other thing I like about using Whirlflock is the way it disperses its self in the kettle (the Whirl part of the name)

Use what works, always feels good to kick a goal.

MHB

PS
I've posted this before but its good info View attachment 25729
M

Thanks for article mhb,but I'm just a simply brewer.I don't want to take a beer apart to the end'th degree.I definitely don't want to brew as a scientist.

I like the intuitive approach,as you say"use what works"

Just putting it out there,as an observation I've made B)

I use 1/2 tabletc whirlflock for a 20-25 Litre batch.
it works a treat.

I have never used Koppafloc the brand but I have used Carrageenan Gum a few times and 1 full Tea spoon works a treat.

Mind you, I have a habit of skimming the hot break.

Matti

Latest posts

Back