Kolsch Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1beer2

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind doing a kolsch , anyone got ideas on a suitable one?

A kolsch is just a very light lager, fermented with a different yeast. If you have a favourite pale (European style) lager that is low in bitterness, use that kit, but ferment it with one of the liquid Kolsch yeasts from Wyeast or Whitelabs. If you don't use the right yeast... its just not a kolsch.

Ferment it at 14-16C which depending on where you are, is probably what you will get from ambient this time of year. I'm doing a kolsch ATM and its just at room temp in the spare room (Melbourne).

You will find that the real kolsch yeasts just hate to settle out though... so its not a style I would try unless you can either filter the beer, or you are willing to fine it and lager it for quite a long time till it clears. The yeast tastes funky so you cant get away with it being cloudy.

Mind you, you can probably get pretty close with easier to handle yeast, but I wouldn't know which one to use, and it wont be quite the same as the genuine article.

Thirsty

Use 2 cans of Morgans Golden Saaz - with 2565 Wyeast Kolsch Yeast - it is all in the yeast.
OG approx 1044-1045. Make a good yeast starter - plenty of cells and aerate well.

Ferment at 15c for 2 weeks then rack into cube and store in fridge at 2C for 2 weeks.

Then bottle cold.
This will get you close.

Afterwards you can experiment - with just a little dry hoping 5gms SAAZ or a touch of Vienna just to accentuate the malt character a little.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give it a go on the weekend, Beer.

Back