Knead It Aqua

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
I am looking to seal up a few small holes in my kettle, and several posters have mentioned using knead it aqua for this purpose.

On Selley's website it mentions it's safe for contact with drinking water, however I checked the MSDS of it (linked below) and it says to avoid contact with food!

http://msds.duluxgroup.com/pdf/shess-en-cd...00704478801.pdf

It didnt specify (or at least if it did I missed it) wether that was after it was cured. Has anyone had confirmation from Selley's either way before I contact them and ask?

Section 10:​
Conditions to avoid:​
Avoid contact with foodstuffs. Avoid exposure to heat, sources of ignition, and open flame.
I'm no chemical genious but I certainly wouldn't be using it.

Section 10:​
Conditions to avoid:​
Avoid contact with foodstuffs. Avoid exposure to heat, sources of ignition, and open flame.
I'm no chemical genious but I certainly wouldn't be using it.

That was my thinking, however they l;ist it as suitable for contact with drinking watyer, and rated for higher temps...

I'm using electric, so open flame isnt an issue

how big are the holes you're trying to fill? I would have thought a solution using knead-it might leave areas where nasties could hide and grow?

Cheers SJ

I am looking to seal up a few small holes in my kettle, and several posters have mentioned using knead it aqua for this purpose.

On Selley's website it mentions it's safe for contact with drinking water, however I checked the MSDS of it (linked below) and it says to avoid contact with food!

http://msds.duluxgroup.com/pdf/shess-en-cd...00704478801.pdf

It didnt specify (or at least if it did I missed it) wether that was after it was cured. Has anyone had confirmation from Selley's either way before I contact them and ask?

I can't find on there where it says anything about drinking water, only water in general. Also says "Incompatible with oxidising agents", so I'm thinking some cleaners wont be any good for it either.

How big are the holes?

That was my thinking, however they l;ist it as suitable for contact with drinking watyer, and rated for higher temps...

I'm using electric, so open flame isnt an issue

Sorry I must be overlooking something here.... I honestly can't see where it says that it is suitable for contact with drinking water. But I have had a long day here so I may not be seeing the forrest through the trees :blink:

Sorry I must be overlooking something here.... I honestly can't see where it says that it is suitable for contact with drinking water. But I have had a long day here so I may not be seeing the forrest through the trees :blink:

From here:

http://www.selleys.com.au/putty/epoxy/knead-it-aqua

<LI>Suitable for contact with drinking water. Complies with AS/NZS 4020, QAS Type Test Certificate No.: 8649.

The holes are approximately 10mm across. I was looking at using a bolt, nut and washer as well, but I just wanted to explore all options!

I would be using the information from the Safety Data Sheet. These are reputable as far as I know. But as I said, I have no idea of chemicals and am just a layman like the next Tom, Dick or Harry. I'm just using my head on this one. There maybe someone here with expertise that can confidently answer your question. Myself, I would be looking for other options.

Email them and be sure.

Ok, Just rang them.

The guy said Knead it aqua once cured, is perfectly safe.

He also said that Silicone 401 could be a good choice as well, as that is considered safe for incidental contact, I told him what I wanted to use it for, and he didnt think there would be a problem with that.

I promise to not comment on things I know nothing about if non-chemists can stop answering chemistry questions...

Read the msds as it is intended, for "using the product". i.e. keeping away from foodstuffs refers to the raw materials BEFORE drying.

The website says the dried product is suitable for contact with drinking water and is stable at constant temperatures of 120 degrees celsius.

As Manticle said, ring Selleys. Personally, I wouldn't use it for the reason SupraJim describes.

He want to use it in his kettle, I'd be confident that the boil would kill any nasties.
But I still don't think I'd use it, not for things that are gonna boil. Maybe on a mash tun, where the temp will get no where near the limits of the stuff. But it's limit of 120 (constant), I be worried about. I've no idea how far above 100c your boil goes though so...

The holes are approximately 10mm across. I was looking at using a bolt, nut and washer as well, ...

This is your better solution imo. Silicon baking tray for your washer, match metal of the bolt to the vessel metal if possible.

Bolt nut washer, with a seal sounds a more robust solution but not as neat.

It does say, "Heat resistant to 120C continuously" and suitable for "Repairing a water (drinking) tank" but for me I wouldn't want "Bisphenol A-Epichlorhydrin reaction product" etc. in my boil everytime, even if it is inert/safe etc..

10mm holes in a kettle if filled with knead it and a bit of heat applied? You'll have 10mm plugs of knead it on the floor followed by litres of hot liquor.

10mm holes in a kettle if filled with knead it and a bit of heat applied? You'll have 10mm plugs of knead it on the floor followed by litres of hot liquor.

That was something I was also thinking...

Bolts it is I think....

That was something I was also thinking...

Bolts it is I think....

If the holes are on a curve I'd washer them with some scrap HDPE each side and drill the inside hole in them slightly small so the bolt's thread acts as a seal.

If the holes are on a curve I'd washer them with some scrap HDPE each side and drill the inside hole in them slightly small so the bolt's thread acts as a seal.

nope, theyare on the bottom, a flat surface.

It's a malley's style boiler, looks like it originally had two elements in it, and someobdy at some point has used some form of putty to affix two plates over the holes.

When I was removing the drain to replace the tap, the bottom flexed slightly, and they fell off. Luckily this happened before I filled it with wort.

I'll head to the hardware soon to have a look what I can get.

I've picked up some Quiksteel from the guys in the toolroom at work. It is FDA approved foodsafe I'm pretty sure. Check it out

You could use silicon.

Dow Corning 732 is FDA approved for use around food.

Latest posts

Back