Knappstein Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_snail

Reaction score
im looking to make a Knappstein Reserve Lager clone..

i need sauvin hops and pacific halertau hops

i was thinking of adding honey lemon juice and zest then chucking whats left of the lemon in.. also wanted to add some sort of flower.. dont know what type.. some sort of fruity type.. can i get some help with that? i was also thinking of adding in some watermelon for more flavour

as well as steeping some malt and dextrose.. what sort of malt should i use? it needs to be light coloured

i was thinking of using a canadian blond kit maybe a toucan.. and what sort of yeast should i use?

thanks in advance..

the snail

im looking to make a Knappstein Reserve Lager clone..

i need sauvin hops and pacific halertau hops

i was thinking of adding honey lemon juice and zest then chucking whats left of the lemon in.. also wanted to add some sort of flower.. dont know what type.. some sort of fruity type.. can i get some help with that? i was also thinking of adding in some watermelon for more flavour

as well as steeping some malt and dextrose.. what sort of malt should i use? it needs to be light coloured

i was thinking of using a canadian blond kit maybe a toucan.. and what sort of yeast should i use?

thanks in advance..

the snail

Snail,

Was sure they only made the one beer, is it called reserve lager, or was that a special reserve run? Tastes great on tap at the brewery. I think to make a kit clone of this delicate lager you would need to start with unhopped extract or LDME. If using extract only it would still probably be too dark, maybe some other light coloured adjuncts would be required for a kit clone. Use NS right through, bittering , flavour and aroma.

Screwy

I would still consider the hallertau in there as well. I think it is a nice combination.

I would not go the honey and lemon juice or any sort of other additions. Use enough Nelson and you will get what you want.

The Canadian blonde isn't a bad choice of kit, otherwise a light lager of some sort will get you close.

Colour is going to only be the slightest of issues, you will be darker but not by that much.

If you want to really clone it you will need to lager and ferment low enough, use an appropriate lager yeast.

You could also approximate the very popular Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer ale here by using that kit, those hops and US56 yeast. S05 I think it is now actually.

okay thanks guys..

so by using the Sauvin Hops that will add the citrus flavour and the floral and fruityness of the beer?

cheers

the snail

These a recipe for this in the BYO 150 clones, i dont have a copy at work though.

rook

Back