KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by BrutusB, 28/12/16.

1. Dan Pratt

Posted 26/6/17
    Hi all,

Ran my first batch in the fermentasaurus at 22c and psi of around 12. Bit of fiddling around with the keg King sounding valve but got set. Simple 70/30 ale/wheat 4.5% summer ale. No esters from the warm temp, turned out good.

Second batch currently fermenting at 19c and 9psi. I could turn the spnuding valve a bit but worried it will become 15psi....lol. Nice to watch the yeast at work

What psi are others running at for ferment?

2. tugger

Posted 9/7/17
    I have found not using the bottle at all is better.
    When you dump into a container rather than the bottle it doesn't bubble back into the fermenter.
    Just crack the valve slowly when under pressure. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1499558723.651105.jpg

Ldog365 likes this.
  3. Yuz

Posted 12/8/17
    Hi, noob here :gday:, so please forgive the stupid questions o_O
    I'm in the process of setting up the Fementasaurus (non-pressure / standard kit) and just a little puzzled as to what happens to the airlock when:

1) the trub is removed and the empty bottle is re-attached and the valve is cranked open
    2) dry hopping and the semi-empty (with 25g of pellets) bottle re-attached and the valve is cranked open

In both these scenarios, wouldn't the water in the airlock get sucked into the Fermantasarus due to the vacuum formed? Or am I meant to open the bottom valve very slowly?

Also, am I better off making wort to about 22L and add boiled & cooled down water into the small bottle to avoid getting oxygen into the unit? I don't have a CO2 setup (yet), so purging the bottle with gas isn't really an option (as shown in demo vids).

TIA,
    Cheers!

4. blink471

Posted 12/8/17
    Thats sound like a great idea. Im currently got one setup with first brew just using airlock and collection bowl. As its my first brew
    using it Im still trying to work out best options... and found that having to purge the bowl when replacing back onto fermenter a bit annoying but ok.
    Adding dry hops was easy but it stilled bubbled even with trying to purge with C02.

5. bradsbrew

Who's up for a pint? Administrator

Posted 17/8/17 at 9:28 AM
    Made a bit of a mess this batch. After 4 batches it's going to need a clean. Cleaning the spunding valve may be a different story.
    Lucky i am changing yeasts for the next batch anyway.
    15029584346482084541503.jpg

blink471, 2cranky and Judanero like this.