KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Ran my first batch in the fermentasaurus at 22c and psi of around 12. Bit of fiddling around with the keg King sounding valve but got set. Simple 70/30 ale/wheat 4.5% summer ale. No esters from the warm temp, turned out good.

Second batch currently fermenting at 19c and 9psi. I could turn the spnuding valve a bit but worried it will become 15psi....lol. Nice to watch the yeast at work

What psi are others running at for ferment?

I have found not using the bottle at all is better.
When you dump into a container rather than the bottle it doesn't bubble back into the fermenter.
Just crack the valve slowly when under pressure.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1499558723.651105.jpg

Hi, noob here :gday:, so please forgive the stupid questions o_O
I'm in the process of setting up the Fementasaurus (non-pressure / standard kit) and just a little puzzled as to what happens to the airlock when:

1) the trub is removed and the empty bottle is re-attached and the valve is cranked open
2) dry hopping and the semi-empty (with 25g of pellets) bottle re-attached and the valve is cranked open

In both these scenarios, wouldn't the water in the airlock get sucked into the Fermantasarus due to the vacuum formed? Or am I meant to open the bottom valve very slowly?

Also, am I better off making wort to about 22L and add boiled & cooled down water into the small bottle to avoid getting oxygen into the unit? I don't have a CO2 setup (yet), so purging the bottle with gas isn't really an option (as shown in demo vids).

TIA,
Cheers!

I have found not using the bottle at all is better.
When you dump into a container rather than the bottle it doesn't bubble back into the fermenter.
Just crack the valve slowly when under pressure.

Thats sound like a great idea. Im currently got one setup with first brew just using airlock and collection bowl. As its my first brew
using it Im still trying to work out best options... and found that having to purge the bowl when replacing back onto fermenter a bit annoying but ok.
Adding dry hops was easy but it stilled bubbled even with trying to purge with C02.

Hi everyone. I as well have just done my first brew using Fermentasaurus. Was wondering how this would work. Brew normally not with pressure lid but using airlock… and then when done, you connect your pressure lid with gas in and putting a serving pressure into the fermenter… and then transfer into a keg? Its not using the barb on the bottom as you still get some sediment… but using the floating pick up and take the beer from the top. This way the beer is not pre carbonated if you want to use bottles, or then put int o a keg. Use a beer line with liquid out from the lid and maybe an inline valve to control flow. Would this work?
Thanks.. Im just learning the best way to use it too.

Hi everyone. I as well have just done my first brew using Fermentasaurus. Was wondering how this would work. Brew normally not with pressure lid but using airlock… and then when done, you connect your pressure lid with gas in and putting a serving pressure into the fermenter… and then transfer into a keg? Its not using the barb on the bottom as you still get some sediment… but using the floating pick up and take the beer from the top. This way the beer is not pre carbonated if you want to use bottles, or then put int o a keg. Use a beer line with liquid out from the lid and maybe an inline valve to control flow. Would this work?
Thanks.. Im just learning the best way to use it too.
This would work. For your bottle filling line , you could just use a bronco tap with beer line pushed into its outlet, so you can fill your bottles from the bottom. No messing around with in line valves that way.

This would work. For your bottle filling line , you could just use a bronco tap with beer line pushed into its outlet, so you can fill your bottles from the bottom. No messing around with in line valves that way.
Ok thanks. I hate using a syphon hose and this would make it all easier to keg with out having to lift Fermentasaurus out of fermenting fridge...

Brew normally not with pressure lid but using airlock… and then when done, you connect your pressure lid...

Hi. You can use your pressure lid with an airlock. You just unscrew the pressure release valve and then put the airlock in the hole. When your ready to add pressure, you just replace the airlock with the PRV. That way you're avoiding more oxygen exposure/potential contamination through replacing the lid.

Great info, however, if gravity brewed and then using the pressure kit with airlock fitted - is it still possible to bottle via the pressure lid considering the beer isn't fully carbonated?
Or would the Rack Arm be a better option for traditional DIY / gravity brew bottling?

Great info, however, if gravity brewed and then using the pressure kit with airlock fitted - is it still possible to bottle via the pressure lid considering the beer isn't fully carbonated?
Or would the Rack Arm be a better option for traditional DIY / gravity brew bottling?
You just need pressure to push it from the fermenter, does not need to be carbed.

Awesome, I was about to drill & fit the Rack arm!
Without much further initial investing into a full-blown CO2 setup (reg'd PRV + full sized CO2 Cylinder), I'm guessing something like a regulator with adapter for the small 16g cartridges will do for bottling?

Awesome, I was about to drill & fit the Rack arm!
Without much further initial investing into a full-blown CO2 setup (reg'd PRV + full sized CO2 Cylinder), I'm guessing something like a regulator with adapter for the small 16g cartridges will do for bottling?
Thats what i was thinking too... my first brew was great... but wasn't really happy with drawing the beer through the bottom outlet.. as I still got a bit trub that settled in the bottom even with collector bottle. So naturally wanting clear beer taking from the top is best option. Thanks everyone for input.

Has anybody actually used the racking arm? I've just ordered mine and wondering if there is any feedback or tips on using it?

Hey Snails, Cooling down my first wort right now, with the 'saurus on stand by :)
I think for the Basic Kit, since it's essentially intended for gravity brewing, the rack arm should've been included in the first place.
I picked up the Pressure Kit instead ($10 odd more than the rack arm), but this ends up costing in terms of the CO2 hardware setup - so looks like I'll just get 15 or 65g Cylinders and an adapter / regulator - so once the brew is ready I'll bottle it this way. Still technically gravity / traditional home brew but instead of siphoning brew out for second fermentation I'll be pushing it out with CO2 and bottling immediately.
Either / or I'm confident the 'saurus will go the distance :cheers:

Back