Kits And Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanko

Reaction score
:chug: Hi All

I am veteran of 6 kit brews and my current brew is a Hahn Premium clone using Morgans Blue Mountain lager.
Could the more experienced among us answer a few questions please.

1. What difference in taste or flavours does the 2 methods of using finishings hops have ie, (Steeped method and dry method). I usually steep them in a coffee cup of boiling water for 15 minutes then add all of it to the fermenter.

2. When racking from the primary to the secondary do you also transfer the hop bag to the secondary or toss it out once finished in the primary.

3. Why do people boil thier LDME, DEX etc on a stove top before adding to the fermenter. I thought you just had to disolve it in hot water then add it to the fermenter.
I usually add all my ingredience including kit to a large pot on a gas burner with 2 litres of water, and only ever get it hot enough to disolve everything and never boiling it.

While I am a relative new comer to HB I quickly learned to brew good lagers you need temerature control and have my own temp controlled fridge which I hve done my last 2 brews in at 11 deg C using Saflager S23.
I havn't tried these brews yet, but I must say I was impressed with the clarity of the beer once in the bottle.

My Current Brew

1 x can Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1kg Ultra Brew
20g Hersbrucker finishing hops (steeped 15 mins)
Saflager S23
23 litres

Primary 9 days @ 11 deg
Secondary 8 days @ 11 deg
Bulk primed with 180g dex
Bottled and waiting

Thanks Guys

bigbanko said:
1. What difference in taste or flavours does the 2 methods of using finishings hops have ie, (Steeped method and dry method). I usually steep them in a coffee cup of boiling water for 15 minutes then add all of it to the fermenter.

2. When racking from the primary to the secondary do you also transfer the hop bag to the secondary or toss it out once finished in the primary.

Thanks Guys
[post="120631"][/post]​

Hi bigbanko - welcome to the forum.

1. Steeping the hops first in boiling water is purported to release flavours not desirable in your beer - However, many use this method & are happy with the results. Dry hopping, should be done by just adding the hops to the secondary, this prevents aroma/flavour being scrubed out the beer by the CO2 in the primary ferment & also helps prevent any bacterial trace on the hops from infecting your brew (due to alcohol content in secondary).
Try true dry hopping & report back your findings - just make sure you obtain fresh aromatic hops rather than those expensive "teabag" hops that many hbs sell...

2. As above - add to secondary, not primary, whichever way you do it...

cheers Ross

Ross said:
bigbanko said:

Thanks Guys
[post="120631"][/post]​

Hi bigbanko - welcome to the forum.

1. Steeping the hops first in boiling water is purported to release flavours not desirable in your beer - However, many use this method & are happy with the results. Dry hopping, should be done by just adding the hops to the secondary, this prevents aroma/flavour being scrubed out the beer by the CO2 in the primary ferment & also helps prevent any bacterial trace on the hops from infecting your brew (due to alcohol content in secondary).
Try true dry hopping & report back your findings - just make sure you obtain fresh aromatic hops rather than those expensive "teabag" hops that many hbs sell...

2. As above - add to secondary, not primary, whichever way you do it...

cheers Ross
[post="120637"][/post]​

Thanks for the info Ross

Latest posts

Back