Kit left outside through summer for months..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan.temple

Reaction score
So the topic pretty much sums it up, got a couple of kits back in August.. and they have been their since. Located in Melbourne so there has been some serious heat over that time and although they haven't been directly in the sun it's prett close to it.

Not the end of the world if they get the flick as they are just a couple of $10 kits from K-Mart but if I can get away with using them it would be great. On the other hand if I use them and it spoils a batch it would be awful.

Cheers for the help,

Mr Magoo

It's not clear to me if you mean you have some beer made from kmart ingredient kits, or if you're using the word "kit" to mean equipment in the way a person from England might.

So... in the first case, if beer has been sitting in the sun/near-sun/heat for 3 months - I would assume it's probably not going to be at its best. But hey, try it and see.

In the 2nd case, I don't believe leaving fermenters and other equipment in the sun will hurt so much. Exposure to direct sun may have weakened the plastic, but I wouldn't think a few weeks sun would put it beyond use. Silicon hose isn't much good in the sun, but I don't think kmart kits have this. My fermenter has now been sitting outside since mid Jan with the lid off, I don't expect any problems - although I will be cleaning it very thoroughly.

When I ran a LHBS in the 1970s "kits" meant the big box you gave to Dad for Father's Day and "beer pack" meant the can.

Distinction has been blurred over the years. In the case of the tins there's the possibility that they have darkened and perhaps staled somewhat, as Liquid Malt Extract tends to do.
If they are still in date I'd use them but don't expect a pale beer.

Latest posts

Back