Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by ianh, 3/2/09.

1. Sam Smith

Posted 23/8/18

2. Sam Smith

Posted 23/8/18
  3. monkey brewing

Warehouse Clerk/Gir clerk
    Posted 23/8/18
    Anyone that cant open the spreadsheet like me, home brew kit master does the trick for us kk brewers

4. freebart

Posted 28/9/18
    I took a look at it. It looks really nice. The one thing that doesn't work for me is the way it handles different batch sizes. Even when I enter a ferment volume less than 23 liters, it doesn't make the adjustments. I wind up getting odd figures like a 9-liter batch of lager, no added hops, with a 65-point IBU.

Otherwise it's really nice, especially since I only use Morgans kits at this point.

5. ianh

Retired
    Posted 1/10/18
    Given the IBU's of the can you should expect something like that. If you enter a ferment volume of 23 litres and the enter a recipe, you should be able to see the values change as you change the ferment volume.

6. Yuz

Posted 1/10/18
    Also - make sure Excel has Automatic Workbook Calculations enabled in "Formulas" option.
    If it's set to Manual, it won't update itself.

7. freebart

Posted 1/10/18
    Thanks. Calculations are set to automatic I'm still having problems, though.

I've got the following:
    Ferment volume: 9 litres
    Kit: Morgans BML, 0.6kg
    LME: Morgans Unhopped Extra Pale, 0.6kg
    no hops entered

And I get an IBU of 63.9. That just can't be right, can it? The IBU field doesn't change as I change the amounts of kit and LME. Is it solely dependent on the ferment volume field?

8. Thomas Wood

Front End Developer
    Posted 1/10/18
    Have you seen this post?

Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

9. freebart

Posted 1/10/18
    Thanks. I checked it, and that formula was already there.

10. Stewart Duffy

Posted 24/10/18
    Hi all. Love the spreadsheet, some awesome work has been put into this. I have a couple of questions about adding to he Kits worksheet.

I understand that the IBU's for the coopers kits follow the following formula:

Product bitterness x 1.7 / Brew volume = Brew Bitterness before fermentation. So following this example, and the example on the coopers FAQ page, we can do this:

Mexican Cerveza up to a volume of 23 litres: 270 x 1.7 / 23 = 20 (rounded from 19.95) IBU (International Bitterness Units). Ok cool. But the spreadsheet lists the IBU as for that kit at 14.7. I am guessing this is to account for loss after fermentation which the coopers site says can be 10-30%. All good.

So what is the the formula used to calculate the IBU for 23 litres? Is it Product bitterness x kit weight / Brew volume = Brew Bitterness - [some & in here for loss]? What % is used for loss? Am I missing a bit here?

Likewise I would like to know how the Black Rock kits were calculated. I am guessing the were calculated in the reverse way than the coopers because both the new Black Rock (& old site) list the IBU for the 23 litres before loss. What % was subtracted from these before calculating the IBU for the can?

I would very like to update this spreadsheet to add all the current Black Rock range, some of the new Coopers kits and the Mangrove jacks, but I am just missing some key numbers here, that I haven't been able to place.

Any advice would be awesome!

Chur

Thomas Wood likes this.
  11. freebart

Posted 22/11/18
    Yay, finally got it to work. There was an extra permission that appeared at the top (in a yellow bar) that I hadn't noticed before. Works well now, thanks!

12. Indian Giver

Posted 22/11/18
    I would love it if it went partials as well, but that's being picky. It was great.

Noticed on little thing. I wanted to calculate a 2min hop addition and it shows as 0 IBU from that addition if I do (on 150g of hops). I know that adequate isomerisation will occur before I cool below 85 degrees, so just wondering about this.

13. Meddo