Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BU:GU is the measure of a beer's "balance". It compares the alcohol content of the beer (Gravity Units) with the bitterness (Bitterness Units). To get the BU:GU ratio, divide the last two digits of the OG by the IBU's.

Pale Ale's usually have a BU:GU of around 75%, or 0.75. Meaning the BU's are 75% of the original gravity of the beer, for example 37.5 IBU for a beer with an original gravity of 1.050.

IPA's are more like 100%, e.g. a 1.060 OG with 60 IBU.

Hefeweizen's on the other hand are around 30%, e.g. 1050 with 15 IBU

Very basically, if you like your beer more bitter/hoppy, go for a higher BU:GU. If you prefer them more malty, go lower. The red dot on Ian's graph in the spreadsheet shows where you're at with the ratio.

As for BV and Calculated IBU, I must admit I don't know, I never paid any attention to those fields when using the spreadsheet. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

EDIT: Here we go, Ian answers the question about Calculated IBU in this post: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/29655-kit-and-extract-beer-spreadsheet/?view=findpost&p=741485. But unfortunately the website that post links to seems dead.

Bump.

Given my local kmart has a couple of kit beers clearing out (but no bottles :angry: ), I thought I'd see what sort of output this spreadsheet gives.

My only issue is that it really only caters to steeping, not to partials. I know I could just use some partial data, combine it with the kit data and do my own calcs, but that seems to be a big bit missing, especially given many brewers do progress through partials (I wasn't one of them, but I noted it).

Cheers

Goomba

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Bump.

Given my local kmart has a couple of kit beers clearing out (but no bottles :angry: ), I thought I'd see what sort of output this spreadsheet gives.

My only issue is that it really only caters to steeping, not to partials. I know I could just use some partial data, combine it with the kit data and do my own calcs, but that seems to be a big bit missing, especially given many brewers do progress through partials (I wasn't one of them, but I noted it).

Cheers

Goomba
Hi LRG

You could do this by adding the grains to the grain list and adjusting the steeping grains efficiency value to reflect mashing rather than steeping.

Anyone know what yeast number belle saison is on the spreadsheet ? If is on there at all?

Cheers

because it's a new yeast it's not on there, also doesn't have a 'number' (most danstar yeasts don't).

On the YEASTS tab just type "Belle Saison" at the bottom of the list in the first two rows, and 80 or 85 in the ATT column. It will then appear in the drop down menu on the main page.

cheers!

85e009bb3eed8e837e6b4c4181546e8ee2a42d936a26e328dc47dc0ec3e85272.jpg

Hi sorry if this is the wrong thread...im completely new to brewing

Ive seen this sheet and would like to make a Cerveza using the coopers kits and am trying to work out the Alc % and og and fg I should be aiming for. I used Coopers Cerveza, brew enhancer no.2 and the yeast that comes with the kit

but not sure where to enter the ingredients of Brew Enhancer no.2 in the spread sheet...be2 = 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrin, 250g light dry malt

thanks heaps

Anyone have any hints on what value for attenuation to put into the spreadsheet for Danstar BRY 97?

I had it in there as 0.73 & 0.75. I found it very similar to US-05 for attenuation.

Thanks. I put it in as 75%.

For whatever reason, I have been getting attenuation at the higher end of expectations. Getting fg readings a bit lower than spreadsheet predicts. Not sure if it is something I am doing or just been lucky with yeast.

I admit to being impatient and pitching yeast at higher temps like 26 -28 and letting it cool (fridge in summer, naturally in winter) to fermentation temp.

I've been happy with the results - flavour and mouth feel- from 34/70, W 06, Windsor. I've really only done a handfull of brews and have been enjoying each different style. I'm going to do 2 Amarillo Golden ales (different kits) in a row with Bry 97.

The spreadsheet has been awesome in putting together recipies. It's been very accurate wrt og and fg. Invaluable resource.

I just wanted to drop a thanks to Ian for his spreadsheets, and this forum for hosting it. I have done three brews (2 coopers kit & kilo and Dr Smurto's Golden) so far. I used the spreadsheet for all of them and they really help to establish the theoretical process in your mind before you do it in practice. I looked at a number of other software packages but just kept coming back to this one.

Trying to put my amber ale into ianh's spreadsheet, but cannot find it in the list. What is an amber ale? Question for the ages I am sure :)

I don't think amber ale is an official style. I think it is just on the darker side of "pale ale" style.

Nullnvoid said:
Trying to put my amber ale into ianh's spreadsheet, but cannot find it in the list. What is an amber ale? Question for the ages I am sure :)
Hi

An American Amber Ale does not seem to be in the AABC sytle guidelines which the spreadsheet uses, but is in the BJCP style guidelines. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php#1b

You can just added it to the style worksheet, Double the SRM to convert to EBC.

Hi Ianh,

Thanks that's great. I think I added it right. Still trying to make sense of most of the spreadsheet, but little by little it's all coming together.

No problems, the original version of the spreadsheet used the BJCP guidelines, with their permission before I discovered the AABC guidelines. So you can use a mix if you want to.

The other thing is to copy the BJCP description for Amber Ale and paste it into a comment in column B.

Back