Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okie1 said:
I am trying to learn the extract beer spreadsheet & I can get along fine except for the brew enhancer 1, I cannot figure out how or where to enter it into the equation. I know it is 400 grams Maltodextrin & 600 grams Dextros but where do I add this?

Thanks for any help.
I added these two rows to the bottom of the "Adj" tab in the spreadsheet:

Coopers BE1 0.1 1.0414 61.2
Coopers BE2 0.1 1.0415 51.5

okie1 said:
I am trying to learn the extract beer spreadsheet & I can get along fine except for the brew enhancer 1, I cannot figure out how or where to enter it into the equation. I know it is 400 grams Maltodextrin & 600 grams Dextros but where do I add this?

Thanks for any help.
Hi Okie,
I had an issue with this, but then I solved it!
You see the section headed with "GRAINS/ADJ"?
The last two rows of this section are just for adjuncts and have the things you need.
Cheers

I thank you all, now I will see how it goes.

I must say that this forum has some of the most helpful & understanding people I have ever encountered on any forum to date.

Guys, I've downloaded Ian's spreadsheet to have a look and play and have a couple of questions.

After a long lay off from Homebrewing where previously I kept a little database of my brews in some software called HBKM, I thought I'd start to use Ians Spreadsheet to track recipes and brews. So I've just got down one of Boonies LCPA clones to get back in the swing of things.

Now I've managed to add Boonie's recipe to the list in the spreadsheet without to much problem (Although it does say it is not in the range for an American Ale I've just ignored that)

Question is I see the "Brews" tab in the Spreadsheet and expected it would track my Brew details in there e.g. # 1 Boonies LCPA Date 5/1 OG xx FG xx etc etc

How do you get the data from the Recipe into this part of the Spreadsheet? I read in the notes abouting copying form Excel to Word then back again but maybe I am doing something wrong as this does nothing for me

I also notice on this tab some comments saying there should be formulas in here for calculating to be copied down, but in the latest version I downloaded there are no formulas in those cells.

Apreciate any tips on how you guys use it for tracking past brews

Cheers......bundy

Not quite Bundy. The "Brews" tab is for manual entry, it's where you keep a list of everything you've brewed. It's the "Recipes" tab that will have any recipes you've saved using the "Save Recipe" button on the Main sheet.

Thanks mate, makes sense then.

However what about the calculations in the brews tab? If I add in the brew details manually The latest one seems not to have any calculations working for Alc % etc.

Or do you use something else to do the calcs and just type those details in also?

Cheers

bundy said:
Thanks mate, makes sense then.

However what about the calculations in the brews tab? If I add in the brew details manually The latest one seems not to have any calculations working for Alc % etc.

Or do you use something else to do the calcs and just type those details in also?

Cheers
The actual OG / FG aren't always 100% what the sheet says, when I was using it my OG was usually on the mark but my FG a few points off due to a variety of reasons that the spreadsheet can't predict.

So enter them manually from your actual readings :)

Is there a User Guide for this spreadsheet?I am a Newbie and use Coopers Extract Cans.
Do I just choose the Coopers Extract from the drop down list?
What information shown is specific to the Extract and what should be entered??
I am Lost!

damoninja said:
The actual OG / FG aren't always 100% what the sheet says, when I was using it my OG was usually on the mark but my FG a few points off due to a variety of reasons that the spreadsheet can't predict.

So enter them manually from your actual readings :)
Yeah mate I would normally do that with whatever program I used, I think you misunderstood me.

The issue is the Spreadsheet (latest version) is not calculating the Alc % values once I enter the OG and FG in onto the Brews worksheet. In clalculates it fine in the Recipe section but not in the Brews hostroy section

Maybe its an issue with this version of spreadsheet and I need to trawl back through this thread, get an older version. copy across the formulas and go from there?

It says in the comments field for that column there is supposed to be a formula in that cell to do the Calculation, but it is blank thus cant calculate the Alc %

bundy said:
Maybe its an issue with this version of spreadsheet and I need to trawl back through this thread, get an older version. copy across the formulas and go from there?

It says in the comments field for that column there is supposed to be a formula in that cell to do the Calculation, but it is blank thus cant calculate the Alc %
That's what I did - here's the formulas to save you some time

Cell Q2: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(O2),ISNUMBER(P2)),((O2-P2)/7.45)+0.4,"")
Cell R2: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(O2),ISNUMBER(P2)),100*(O2-P2)/O2,"")

If you put those in and then fill down you should be right to go. The Make Recipe button on the Main sheet will add the brew information as a new line on the Brews sheet and copy the Brewday details as a comment in column C.

bundy said:
Yeah mate I would normally do that with whatever program I used, I think you misunderstood me.

The issue is the Spreadsheet (latest version) is not calculating the Alc % values once I enter the OG and FG in onto the Brews worksheet. In clalculates it fine in the Recipe section but not in the Brews hostroy section

In the Brews tab, you need to copy the formulas (e.g. the abv calc) from the current row, down to the next row. For some reason I can't use CTRL-C like I normally would, instead I right click the formula, choose copy, then right click the cell below it, choose paste.

carniebrew said:
In the Brews tab, you need to copy the formulas (e.g. the abv calc) from the current row, down to the next row. For some reason I can't use CTRL-C like I normally would, instead I right click the formula, choose copy, then right click the cell below it, choose paste.
The formulas don't show up for me at all.

And Ctrl+C has been mapped to a macro, which annoyed the crap outta me so I changed it.

Hrmm, I just checked the latest copy of the spreadsheet and you're right, the formulas aren't there. I wonder if I added them myself? Actually my "Brews" tab is different to that v4.1, I don't have all the BOG/BFG stuff in columns U-X.

Anyway, you could try putting this in the %Alc column (column Q):

=((S2-T2)/7.46)+0.5

That should give you your ABV. Note I use the "+0.5" at the end to adjust my abv for bottle conditioning. If you're kegging/force carbing get rid of it.

carniebrew said:
Hrmm, I just checked the latest copy of the spreadsheet and you're right, the formulas aren't there. I wonder if I added them myself? Actually my "Brews" tab is different to that v4.1, I don't have all the BOG/BFG stuff in columns U-X.

Anyway, you could try putting this in the %Alc column (column Q):

=((S2-T2)/7.46)+0.5

That should give you your ABV. Note I use the "+0.5" at the end to adjust my abv for bottle conditioning. If you're kegging/force carbing get rid of it.
All graining, don't use the sheets anymore ;D

Same, but that doesn't mean we can't help! I've actually "borrowed" Ian's brew sheet and morphed it into a Google Doc, where I still record all my brews...that way I can call it up from pretty much anywhere, as opposed to Beersmith where I have to be at my PC.

First of all, absolutely awesome spreadsheet for trying ideas out first. I have thrown a couple of my own ideas into the spreadsheet that i have shared on google drive.
I have included;

+Portion of kit calculation. So you can mix half tins. (IBU and EBC calcualted as a percentage of whole kit)
+Default masses of LME, DME, GRAINS, ADJ & HOPS (for n00bs/lazy people)
+Expanded on the tinseths calc for HOPS by including OG lookup (different OG, different IBU)
+Default boil times for hops (15mins Aroma, 30mins Flavor, 50mins Bitter, Dry Hop or choose your own).
+Indoor room temperature variation for secondary fermentation.
+Yeast variety temperature variation for secondary fermentation.
+Bottle prime volume offset (calculate number of bottles required)
+Forecast Temperature entry MAX and MIN lookup indoor temperature(auto capturing Perth WA).
+Save up to 12 recipes (recall by date)

please feel free to give advice comment...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuhNTqi8bPjIdFprbms3SGxrVGdLcDd6NFJSQUhoR0E&usp=sharing

Completely n00b question here...

I have punched in my ingredients into this spread sheet, and got WAAAAY different OG to what I measured.

Ingredients:

1.7kg Coopers sparkling ale
1kg Light DME
23L Frantelle spring water (probably wasted my money here)
15g pride of ringwood finishing hops
US-05 yeast.

Spreadsheet says I should have gotten 1.039, but I really got 1.060 (measured twice)

What have I done wrong?

Seems very high for a OG with the ingredients used.

What temp was the reading taken at?

Have you tried taking a reading with just tap water to make sure hydrometer is working correctly?

dave doran said:
Seems very high for a OG with the ingredients used.

What temp was the reading taken at?

Have you tried taking a reading with just tap water to make sure hydrometer is working correctly?
The reading was taken with a water temp at 25C

I checked my hydrometer when I first got it and it read .5mm off with 'natural spring water' and my first brew was also 1060 but I had nothing to compare that too so didnt panic.

first brew was mangrove jacks blonde and 1kg dextrose, fermented at 25-30C... nothing else, it finished at 1004. it was horrible :O but got me really pissed :p

Latest posts

Back