Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah no way is that 1.112. I find the liquid malt in the can sinks to the bottom despite stiring. I would guess that 1050 would be pretty close for the amount of sugar you have put in.

I'm sure this has been asked about previously in this thread, but I'm inherently lazy so I figured I'd post.

I'm about to begin a series of experiments by splitting a batch into two 15L FVs. The idea being that one is a control, the other has a tweek. Both are fermented in the same conditions, over the same amount of time, so that I can get an accurate comparison.

I've been trying to figure out how to wrangle the recipe in the spreadsheet. I want to set the recipe as the 15L batch, rather than do a 23L batch and halve it, as I'm sure that scaling down a full batch calculation will mess with the ABV, EBC and IBU values....but I'm not sure....

I'm planning on using a Coopers Lager can as the base, so I have entered a new line in the Kit page. I've left the Can EBC and Can IBU as they are listed in the full can that comes default with the spreadsheet. I've then adjusted the weight of the can to represent half a can and HALVED the 'For 23 L EBC/IBU' values.

Does this sound correct??
Do I need to adjust it further??
Or am I making things too complex and should just halve a full 23L batch calculation??

Cheers,

BW

I'm a bit confused. If you're splitting a 23 litre brew across two FV's, why would you want to set the recipe as a 15L batch? Wouldn't it be an 11.5 litre batch?

You could set your batch size to 11.5 litres, then change the Coopers Lager can size to .85kg. BUT...remember the weight field for kit cans is actually a calculation, not a number entry, so you might want to make a copy of the spreadsheet first so you can add the formula back in once you're done mucking around.

Or if you're confident enough with Excel, add a new entry in the "Kits" tab, under the existing Coopers Lager, and call it "Coopers Lager (Half)". Then halve the numbers in columns D, E & F, so the row looks like this:

Coopers Lager (Half) 2.4 10.6 0.85 45

Then set your batch size to 11.5 litres, choose the new half kit can, and enter the rest of your ingredients as normal?

EDIT: If you are looking to do 2 x 15l batches, but using half a Coopers Lager can in both, then that latter method of adding a new entry for half a can would still work too. Just change your batch size to 15, and it'll then let you muck around with how much other fermentables/hops you'll need to get to your targets.

Uhh....yeah....late night posting, like late night pizza or cheese, should be done carefully...Dunno why they can't set auto-correct to fix up late night posts...

What I had MEANT to specify was that I was using 15L containers to brew an 11.5L batch. I wouldn't dare attempt a 15L batch in a 15L FV unless I wanted Krausen in my shoes and a cranky missus in my ear...

It took me a couple of reads (and a touch of Alt-Tabbing back and forth) before I got the notion of what you were saying about halving values in cells D, E and F.

The end result is the same, except that I had entered values as numbers, not as a result of an equation.
I may just make ANOTHER 1/2 can line and try it again with the equations in place and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks heaps for the advice, carniebrew!

Hi,

I have started use Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1 on Mac with MS Office 2011. It's really a very useful and helpful tool that will help me produce much better beer. But unfortunately it does not work with the macros, is there any solution to this?

Olle said:
Hi,

I have started use Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1 on Mac with MS Office 2011. It's really a very useful and helpful tool that will help me produce much better beer. But unfortunately it does not work with the macros, is there any solution to this?
Have you checked that macros are enabled in trust centre?

damoninja said:
Have you checked that macros are enabled in trust centre?
Thank you damoninja.

Yes, macros are enabled in trust centre. I also get the message 'Error in loading DLL'. And I also get the message ' Excel could not open Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls because some contents is unreadable. Do you want to open and Repair this workbook?' On Yes, then all macros and the VBA project is removed from the workbook.

I should really appreciate if someone can solve this for me.

Olle, it's unlikely but possible that the spreadsheet got corrupted during download. It happened to me once when downloading the latest update a while back. Can you download it again from this thread and try opening it again?

carniebrew said:
Olle, it's unlikely but possible that the spreadsheet got corrupted during download. It happened to me once when downloading the latest update a while back. Can you download it again from this thread and try opening it again?
Hello Carniebrew,

Good idea. I have tried, but the same result.

Below the messages I got.

'Error in loading DLL'.
And

"'Repair Result to Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1 07091.xml

Errors were detected in file 'Macintosh HD:Users:Wiking:Downloads:Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls'

Lost Visual Basic project.One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook"

Olle said:
Hello Carniebrew,

Good idea. I have tried, but the same result.

Below the messages I got.

'Error in loading DLL'.
And

"'Repair Result to Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1 07091.xml

Errors were detected in file 'Macintosh HD:Users:Wiking:Downloads:Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls'
Lost Visual Basic project.One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook"
Just download LIBREOFFICE. It works fine with that. Libreoffice is an free office software like MS Office just without the $$.
http://www.libreoffice.org/

I still get loads of errors with LibreOffice on the MacBook but it was OK for a play.

Hey Ian - the spreadsheet helped me a lot when I was getting started, a few people I've shared it with have called it a godsend for the kit brewer.

I've joined another forum and was wondering if you'd be ok with me sharing it there, all credits to yourself?

I am trying to learn the extract beer spreadsheet & I can get along fine except for the brew enhancer 1, I cannot figure out how or where to enter it into the equation. I know it is 400 grams Maltodextrin & 600 grams Dextros but where do I add this?

Thanks for any help.

Back